1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango SXT rubbing noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:19 PM
zimmer28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Durango SXT rubbing noise when turning

Hi all,
Vehicle: 2002 Durango SXT, 4.7L, Automatic, auto select 2WD/4WD only.

I'm getting ready to start giving my new Durango some TLC. One of the first things I noticed is a pretty light rubbing sound. With the windows up, it sound like a rubber to rubber rubbing noise from the front.

1.) Today I found an open and quiet parking lot and put the truck into a spin.
2.) I cracked open the door (seatbelt on) and realized that it was only coming from the rear. It is not a grinding noise purely a rub noise and it sounds loudest when I put the truck into a sharp turn and gave it some gas.
3.) My next step was to put into the turn and apply the breaks (to see if the rubbing was in the brake drum). The soft rubbing noise didn't change.
4.) I put the vehicle into a sharp turn to the left, and I could hear the light rubbing noise, but wasn't sure if it was on the passenger side as well.
5.) With windows down, door open, a smooth parking lot, I accelerated up to 25MPH in a straight line and heard no detectable noise at all.
6.) The rubbing noise decreases and increases based on the vehicle speed when turning.

I'm kinda stumped here. Low Differential fluid or the beginning some kind of axle problem? Oh, and the noise definitely seemed to be coming at the end of the axle (at the wheel) and not farther in towards the center axle. Any suggestions? Rear ends are not unknown to me, but I have only had to deal with them a couple of times in my twenties with my best friend who was very good at tearing up cars.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:01 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Maybe an LSD acting up

Old 09-27-2014, 06:44 PM
zimmer28

I know it's not a pinion bearing. I know that sound and its variations quite well.

I checked the axle at both drums and they are dry, so no axle seals leaking.

I guess I'll start easy and work my way to the harder and more expensive route. Hopefully it's just low on gear oil. My SUV does have 180k on it. I am not looking forward to trying to take the plug out of the differential housing. It's always been an uphill battle on every vehicle I've ever owned getting that plug loose.

anyone else have thoughts?

Old 09-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Danny in CO
Rookie

Could it be coming from the rear of the front driveshaft? There is a CV like ujoint there that fails.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:07 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Remove the inspection cover and inspect for broken clips for the LSD clutches. Just like that guy had wrote. If they are broken, then its time to replace the carrier and all bearings. Even the pinion bearings too.

Last edited by master tech; 09-30-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:34 PM
zimmer28

@Danny: I could feel something in the steering wheel during a turn. Will put the u-joint on my list of things to check (along with front wheel bearing replacements since they are probably original).

@Master tech: I'm planning to the change the differential fluid this weekend--both front and rear diffs, since I am guessing they have never been done before, like all too many vehicles. I ordered two replacement diff plugs, they'll be in tomorrow with front and rear diff gaskets (I'm old school, and not a fan of just RTV/Silicone).

Update: The noise does "not" occur when I first start up the Durango and drive. I drove 4 miles through turns and no noise at all. Old gear lube warming up and breaking down, or just low enough that when it warms up the gears churn it enough to lower the levels in the axles? Just a guess.

It's a 12-bolt rear end with a line that passes across the center of the diff cover. Do I need to be "gentle" with that line?

I did notice some stains and dirt on the left rear brake drum back plate. It's all around the inlets for the wheel cylinder, so I am guessing I got a slightly loose line, or a failing wheel cylinder. I plan to check/rebuild all brakes as soon as I get another paycheck. And my Durango has ABS brakes.

All that said, I love looking out over the hood of my new Durango as I drive. On a positive note, the CD player and Tape Deck work great! Yes, I do have a few tapes....

Old 10-07-2014, 12:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 Master and that_guy

Open the rear diff cover and check out the gears and more importantly the LSD clutch packs to see if the clips have broken off.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:48 PM
zimmer28

I have had some issues on getting time to get into my Durango rear differential.

Did have some time to have my brother help me with the noise issue since he turns wrenches more than I do these last few years. We jacked up the rear end and rolled the rear tires...it's a posi rear end. I guess that makes it a Trac-Lok if I understand Dodge's lingo. We also checked the rear differential fluid. It was about a 1/4" below the hole and it looked like brand new. We couldn't see any signs of the covering being removed, so we suspect that they may have changed the gear oil with a siphon. After we learned the rear end is a posi, my brother thinks they might have changed the diff oil and didn't add any conditioner. I took him out with me to listen to the noise and basically spun the truck in a circle while he stood in the center (so to speak) and bent over where he could hear it. He's pretty sure it's coming from the diff housing only and is real suspicious that someone changed the fluid and didn't add any conditioner. The Dodge service manual calls out the conditioner to get From Dodge, so I'm going to see if I can get from a Dodge dealer.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:05 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You should be able to use friction modifier from the parts store too. I'd bet that wasn't added and is the issue.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 AM
2kdurangoslt

+1 on the friction modifier.
I have a 2001 R/T. Also had the rubbing noise in the rear. I changed out the front and rear diff oils two weekends ago. The fluid also looked new, but I changed it anyway. Added the friction modifier for the rear, and the noise is gone. Hope thats your issue, as was an easy fix.

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango SXT rubbing noise when turning