1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango 5.9L Won't start Continued - Question

Old 10-24-2014, 06:43 PM
foamhand
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2000 Durango 5.9L Won't start Continued - Question

Now that I received 2 supposedly defective PCM's from All Computer Resources, and the local dodge service center is convinced my no bus / no link / no start issue is due to a bad PCM, and can't be another issue, It raises a question in my mind.

Supposedly ACR has programmed their PCM's with my VIN and mileage prior to shipping. However, when their PCM's are installed in my vehicle, I get the same no link when a code reader is connected.

Why will ACR's computer or whatever they use for programming, link to their PCM before shipping to program my VIN, but when it is installed in my Durango, I get the no bus/no link issue? It supposedly linked at the factory?

Seems to me Dodge should be looking elsewhere as to why there is a no link problem if the PCM accepted programming at the factory, unless ACR is totally full of bull and they don't even verify that their programming actually took at the factory. Any ideas, anyone?

Old 10-28-2014, 07:59 PM
foamhand
Amateur

Well I got a PCM from O'Reillys today and took it to Dodge service. I finally got to talk to the tech instead of the service manager and he said the DRB scan tool sees everything except the PCM with the old PCM installed and that's why he believes it can't be anything else.

Tomorrow hopefully the third time is the charm and a CARDONE unit works better than the POS All Computer Resources PCM.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:25 PM
foamhand
Amateur

Well, the 3rd PCM, this time from O'reillys auto parts didn't work either. I am really getting irritated and want to take dynamite to the Durango. I have a hard time believing 3 PCM's from 2 different sources are all bad. It must be something else!

Any ideas where to start looking?

Old 10-30-2014, 08:34 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Wish I could offer some advice here. Someone else here has got to have some kind of experience along these lines.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:00 PM
laz45
Veteran

Just a question, have you checked the breakers and fuses under the hood? No supply voltage to the pcm= no bus... also check/clean the grounds, disconnect/reconnect anything in paths between power control and the pcm.
The FSM wiring diagrams will help locating grounds and connectors and also help identify breakers/fuses under the hood. If you've done it already sorry for being redundant

Old 11-04-2014, 04:34 PM
foamhand
Amateur

OK, Dodge service installed my PCM in a running Durango and the no bus issue did not come up, so they are assuming the 3rd PCM is good and are now down to chasing wires. Looks like this is going to get expensive. Yes, all fuses in the engine compartment, dash and under dash checked good with an ohm meter.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:05 PM
laz45
Veteran

That's the track I was thinking of. Gotta be something open, a wire or connection, something, keeping your PCM from communicating. Hopefully they find it quickly for you

Old 11-05-2014, 05:19 PM
foamhand
Amateur

I just got back from dodge service and they are back to thinking bad PCM again. They are unsure that the earlier swap test done by a 3rd party with a Durango was accurate.

Dodge said their DRB III scan tool sees everything except the PCM. I asked if the DRB III sees all the sensors...CKP, CTS, CTM, MAP, TPS, Gov. Pressure, etc. and she says yes the DRB III sees them, it just does not see the PCM.

Dodge has located a 1999 Durango that is compatible with my 2000 and are going to borrow it and start swapping parts with it (PCM's I assume) to definitely determine if the 2 reman PCM's I have are good or not. So we'll see.

I just hope to get the Dang-O running before the first snowstorm hits here in Western Colorado. That 4WD is nice to have, especially with a brand new set of BFG AT/KO tires all around on it.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:22 PM
foamhand
Amateur

Well, Dodge service tried both the O'Reilly's and All Computer Resources PCM's in another Durango and it came up no bus with both, and Dodge is strongly recommending I buy their $1050.00 factory rebuilt PCM. They must think we're all made of money. I am having O'Reilly's exchange their PCM one more time and then I guess I'll sell off some toys to buy the factory one.

This has been a nightmare and I may never buy a mopar product again. Time to look at Toyota.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:18 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't expect much help if you just want to bitch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Durango 5.9L Won't start Continued - Question