1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango SLT 4WD Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Jeryll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 Durango SLT 4WD Problem

Hi guys. I have a 2002 Dodge Durango SLT and the 4WD is not working. It is the switch on the dash that has 2WD, 4HI, 4LO, and a Neutral light on the bottom left. Sometime over the summer I did not notice, but the lights on the selector do not light up anymore. It used to have a green light next to whatever drive mode it was in, but now there are no lights. I have replaced the switch with a new one and made sure the connection was tight, and have replaced all of the fuses associated with the 4WD system on the side of the dash and under the hood, even though none of them were bad. The truck will not go into 4WD, when I switch to 4HI or 4LO there is no noise of the trans shifting, no lights on the switch, nothing. There are no service lights on on the dash. The truck drives like new, and is regularly maintained. I have a multi-meter, but do not know how to use it to test the switch or the wires that plug into the switch. I have no idea what any of those symbols on the multi-meter mean so I do know know where to begin testing. Any help would be appreciated, snow is coming and I live in Colorado so 4WD is a must. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:57 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

There is a module that controls the transfer case (TCCM), but that's the extent of my knowledge with the electronic shifting. Someone else will know more.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Jeryll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I went ahead and replaced the switch itself, and nothing happened. I do not know how or where to test for voltage, but everything I am reading on the forums leads back to the TCCM. I know I can get to it, but looking at Ebay there are a lot different ones and they all say they will fit my vehicle. 242AD, 242Af, 242AG, etc... I have no idea which one I have, and really not looking forward to pulling my dash apart, seeing which one I have, then putting it all back together so I can drive while I order one, then having to pull it all back apart again to install once it gets here. And I cannot find anything online that will tell me how to identify which one I have without pulling the dash apart. Uggg.. wish I had noticed that the lights on the switch were out during the summer, working outside in 20 degree weather sucks :P

Old 11-20-2014, 01:39 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Maybe call the dealer with your vin and they can tell you which one

Old 11-21-2014, 08:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

as far as chrysler parts go the a? code on the end indicates who made the part for chrysler, as long as the rest of the part # matches up they should all be interchangeable.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:36 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Get under it and pull the wires plug going into the T-case and look for corrosion. Clean and plug it in a few times to ensure a good connection. Usually it is just a bad connection on the T-case. If not you might need to replace it dependent on what is bad.

Look up youtube and watch some videos on how to use a multi-meter. You should just be using DC voltage of 20, continuity, and resistance,

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango SLT 4WD Problem