1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

lift tires rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:05 PM
dawgsoldier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift tires rubbing

I just put on 265 75 r16 cooper discoverer st maxx's. Good tires love them so far..but the rub in the front when turning not at full lock..suggestions on add leaf springs n crank torsion bars tell 2inches..if so will it ride the same or do I have to down size my tires...thanks for any advice.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:38 PM
gvsu4msu
Professional

What year Durango do you have? The 265/70/R16 was a stock size on the 03. Are you 2WD or 4WD? What did you upsize from?

Could be your torsion bars are not at proper height currently. As for adding the leaf and turning up the T/B, it might ride a little rougher, but nothing to drastic.

I did the Shackle Kit and Torsion crank on mine and 285/75/R16 fit well with very minor rubbing (on the lower corner of the front bumper, but I fixed that so the "lug" would not rub)......of course now it rubs a little more that I took a Ford Edge to the P/S fender.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:28 PM
dawgsoldier

Originally Posted by gvsu4msu
What year Durango do you have? The 265/70/R16 was a stock size on the 03. Are you 2WD or 4WD? What did you upsize from?

Could be your torsion bars are not at proper height currently. As for adding the leaf and turning up the T/B, it might ride a little rougher, but nothing to drastic.

I did the Shackle Kit and Torsion crank on mine and 285/75/R16 fit well with very minor rubbing (on the lower corner of the front bumper, but I fixed that so the "lug" would not rub)......of course now it rubs a little more that I took a Ford Edge to the P/S fender.
I have a 2002 durango SLT 5.9L 4wd...265 70 r16 was the size I had on there..they rub the front bumper when turning but don't rub in a full lock turn. Not to sure on lifting or the cost of doing this..and would trimming the bumper be something to do...just not sure when it comes lifting or trimmin...

Old 11-21-2014, 01:20 PM
gvsu4msu
Professional

Per this tire calculator, you only increased your overall tire diameter by 1".... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...0r16-265-75r16

Which means you only increased the tire 1/2" closer to the area of rub. Quite possibly your front end may be sagging some. Does your Durango sit level or does it rake to the front?

I believe the Durango should sit level. A turn on the torsion bar nut gives you 1/4" of height change I believe.

On a side note, my tire rubbed after the lift mainly due to a wider tire and a lug pattern that would "catch" or rub against that lower bumper bolt on the SXT bumper.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:42 PM
asphaltwarrior1
Rookie

I cranked my torsion bars 8 turns for the 2 inches of lift and am running Kenda Klever 265/75/16 and they no rub. Torsion bar crank slight ly like said should help

Not my tire comparison, just an image to show the Kenda tread pattern Bought them from atw-tires on ebay for 635 shipped for 4

Old 11-25-2014, 09:36 AM
dawgsoldier

Originally Posted by asphaltwarrior1
I cranked my torsion bars 8 turns for the 2 inches of lift and am running Kenda Klever 265/75/16 and they no rub. Torsion bar crank slight ly like said should help

Not my tire comparison, just an image to show the Kenda tread pattern Bought them from atw-tires on ebay for 635 shipped for 4

What did u do for the rear of the durango with the front up 2 inches

Old 11-25-2014, 11:45 AM
gvsu4msu
Professional

Originally Posted by dawgsoldier
What did u do for the rear of the durango with the front up 2 inches
Belltech "lowering" shackles ..... which actually RAISE the rear of the Durango.

These might be the ones you need. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bel-6400 - Search this forum and you can find lots of info on rear shackles.

Quick Reply: lift tires rubbing