1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Noise when turning hard left or right

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Tom Archer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when turning hard left or right

I will be as detailed as possible here so hopefully someone can better advise me on what to do next. I had to replace the right front wheel hub assembly yesterday. Bearings had gone bad. Repair took approximately 20 minutes. I replaced the wheel hub assembly with an O'reilly after market part. It fit just fine. After I drove the 1st Generation 03, rear wheel drive 5.9 engine, durango, about a mile and made a hard slow turn to my left, a noise similar to a rubber band being stretched to it's limits emanated from the right front. As soon as I began straightening the wheels out to continue down the road the noise stopped. I drove it 7 miles round trip slowly and then up to highway speed(65) and had to make a hard right turn at my driveway. Again as I made the turn, the same noise came back. I just crawled out from underneath it a few moments ago and I can't see ANY signs of rubbing or wear on the tire, wheel or hub assembly. I have a grandson who is scheduled to undergo heart surgery at any time(emergency) and the hospital is 60 plus miles away. This is my only vehicle and I need it badly. Anyone have ANY ideas where I can start troubleshooting this beyond looking for wear on any of the visible wheel assembly parts?

Last edited by Tom Archer; 02-01-2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 02-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Tom Archer

Originally Posted by Tom Archer
I will be as detailed as possible here so hopefully someone can better advise me on what to do next. I had to replace the right front wheel hub assembly yesterday. Bearings had gone bad. Repair took approximately 20 minutes. I replaced the wheel hub assembly with an O'reilly after market part. It fit just fine. After I drove the 1st Generation 03, rear wheel drive 5.9 engine, durango, about a mile and made a hard slow turn to my left, a noise similar to a rubber band being stretched to it's limits emanated from the right front. As soon as I began straightening the wheels out to continue down the road the noise stopped. I drove it 7 miles round trip slowly and then up to highway speed(65) and had to make a hard right turn at my driveway. Again as I made the turn, the same noise came back. I just crawled out from underneath it a few moments ago and I can't see ANY signs of rubbing or wear on the tire, wheel or hub assembly. I have a grandson who is scheduled to undergo heart surgery at any time(emergency) and the hospital is 60 plus miles away. This is my only vehicle and I need it badly. Anyone have ANY ideas where I can start troubleshooting this beyond looking for wear on any of the visible wheel assembly parts?
I forgot to include the Power Steering pump is full of fluid, all connection points were torqued. Don't know if this helps but just happened to think that I had left these points out.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:27 PM
S3v3n

I had something like this on my 99 and it turned out to be the ball joint

Old 02-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Tom Archer
Default Noise when turning hard left or right

Originally Posted by S3v3n
I had something like this on my 99 and it turned out to be the ball joint
This blew my mind. I swear you can't make this stuff up...But I found out what it was yesterday afternoon late. It was air in the brake lines. As I was driving down the road taking it to a mechanic, I remembered that I had forgotten to to loosen the filler cap just a wee bit. So I stopped right where I was on the road and loosened the cap just enough to know it was lose. I pumped the break pedal several times stopping about every 3rd or 4th pump and held the pedal down for a few seconds. Did that for several repetitions. Voila no more noise...I called the mechanic and asked him if he had ever heard of doing that when the lines had not been opened during the repairs. He was as amazed as I was. Who woulda thunk......

Quick Reply: Noise when turning hard left or right