1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Just got a 2000 Durango SLT at Auction

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:54 AM
mortonarts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a 2000 Durango SLT at Auction

Hey all.

I just got a really pretty 2000 Durango SLT at auction for 900. When I bought it it had the ABS light on. I got to turn it on but not put it in drive. It idled like crap at the time but the price was right. On the way home I noticed that the Ebrake wasn't fulling disengaging and then the check engine light came on. It has a bad O2 sensor on it. Also, the steering is pretty stiff. This may be normal for the vehicle I am not sure. I topped off the power steering fluid and all the other fluids as well. I will get started on the tune up a little later in the week after I do the O2 sensor. I saw a you tube video that said I may have a leaky power Steering pressure switch that may be leaking down and taking out the O2 sensor. I couldn't find it in my car. Not sure if the 2000 has this sensor. Any help on these would be appreciated. I want to get this SUV running perfectly so my wife can drive it. I love the third row seating on it.

Thanks

James

Old 03-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mortonarts
Hey all.

I just got a really pretty 2000 Durango SLT at auction for 900. When I bought it it had the ABS light on. I got to turn it on but not put it in drive. It idled like crap at the time but the price was right. On the way home I noticed that the Ebrake wasn't fulling disengaging and then the check engine light came on. It has a bad O2 sensor on it. Also, the steering is pretty stiff. This may be normal for the vehicle I am not sure. I topped off the power steering fluid and all the other fluids as well. I will get started on the tune up a little later in the week after I do the O2 sensor. I saw a you tube video that said I may have a leaky power Steering pressure switch that may be leaking down and taking out the O2 sensor. I couldn't find it in my car. Not sure if the 2000 has this sensor. Any help on these would be appreciated. I want to get this SUV running perfectly so my wife can drive it. I love the third row seating on it.

Thanks

James
First, welcome.

Second, 2000 didnt have the PS pressure switch.

Finally,

Old 03-24-2015, 07:59 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

So the code was the 02 sensor then?

And the idling rough could be as simple as the IAC on the throttle body or even a weak battery/bad connections to the battery.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:34 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

old_school: the pressure sensor was there on some 2000s,

the pressure switch only exists on models w/ the 4.7l engine, its located right on the front of the engine on the power steering hard line, you really cannot miss it. (see image)

Old 03-25-2015, 11:05 AM
mortonarts

At least I pulled that part at the junk yard. I am only out 10 bucks. ANy chance you can post a picture of the IAC and where it is? I will hit the same junk yard Saturday. Last night I did the plugs and since it will be raining tonight I will wait until tomorrow to do the O2 Sensor. I need to pull the wheels off one at a time to check the brakes as well. I went out and bought a cheep caliper set and will measure the rotors to make sure they are thick enough. I will look up the Minimum thickness of the rotors today some time. If they test good I will just replace the pads and call it good. I still need to disconnect the Ebrake cables until I can figure out why they are not fully disengaging.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:24 PM
that_guy
Champion

I don't have a picture of it for the 4.7 (guessing you have that) but I can tell you that it's on the throttle body.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:58 PM
mortonarts

Sorry. I should have said it earlier. Mine is the 5.9

Old 03-25-2015, 05:00 PM
that_guy
Champion

Ok, then it's right on the back (towards the firewall) of the throttle body. Honestly, you'd be best off throttle body and cleaning it out well. It's probably got a good bit of crud in it.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:30 PM
mortonarts

Last night I finished up the plugs. I was kind of peaved that I had to take off the Air box to get to the plugs on the passenger side. Tonight I will take off the drivers wheel and do the O2 sensor through the wheel well. It is O2 sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:35 PM
that_guy
Champion

Guess it depends how big your hands are. I've never had to take out the air box to change plugs.

Quick Reply: Just got a 2000 Durango SLT at Auction