1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need input.. motor shot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:25 AM
scottylee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input.. motor shot?

I bought a 2000 durango yesterday with what i was told a bad cam sensor. I took out the sensor and it has metal shavings all over it, so i pulled the passenger side valve cover and it had shavings in the front side above the timing chain. The chain has a decent amount of slack and when i bump the starter the chain does not move. I have never heard it run so I cant tell you if it was making any noises or if it was stalling or not but it does have the p0240 code. Any input is greatly appreciated. The photo of my hand was what was on the cam sensor.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:01 AM
dxloat
Veteran

The cam sensor is under the distributor cap. Are you saying you found that oil and metal shavings on your hand under the distributor cap? Looks bad man. Does it turn over? If it is turning over but not moving the cam chain then start looking for a motor to swap in. I hope you got a really good price. Anytime someone tries to sell you a non running vehicle don't believe anything they say as to what is wrong with it, if they actually knew they would have fixed it themselves. A non running vehicle generally is only worth scrap price in my book unless its ridiculously rare or something.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:17 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

That's definitely not a Magnum valve cover, so he must have the 4.7. No distributor on it. I don't have any experience with the 4.7, but it sounds like your timing chain is shot.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:48 AM
scottylee

sorry, yes it is a 4.7l and i don't have any experience with them. i bought it with high hopes because i missed my 98 witch was a 5.2. It cranks but the timing chain on the passenger side doesn't move, i haven't torn into it any more i only have about an hour of trouble shooting into it.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:47 PM
scottylee

crank shaft sensor sorry

Quick Reply: Need input.. motor shot?