1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replacement Heater Core Selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 05:32 AM
tshephard
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement Heater Core Selection

As above, gonna' actually do it this month.

Looking for recommendations from installers/inspectors who know they had purchased a high quality replacement.
I have no confidence in the OE core.
Have you seen a replacement that addresses the weakness in the OE core?
Have you put one in that really lasted?
One that looked 'beefier' than OE?

I'm hoping to do this just once in a lifetime truck!

THX
THS

Last edited by tshephard; 04-24-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:50 AM
dxloat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you had to replace more than one in your truck? I have 260000+ on my original, that seems pretty good to me. I know its a bitch to change but I wouldn't over think it, just buy a reputable brand or oem and it will likely be the last one you should need unless you have some other reason like a contaminated system that is ruining the cores.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tshephard
As above, gonna' actually do it this month.

Looking for recommendations from installers/inspectors who know they had purchased a high quality replacement.
I have no confidence in the OE core.
Have you seen a replacement that addresses the weakness in the OE core?
Have you put one in that really lasted?
One that looked 'beefier' than OE?

I'm hoping to do this just once in a lifetime truck!

THX
THS
The words "High Quality" don't exist in most products anymore. Most are cheaply made overseas so you just have to find one you think might last and hope for the best.

I have installed a Spectra Premium heater core in a friends truck that has lasted a bit over 2.5 years without a issue FWIW.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:37 PM
foamhand
Amateur

Same thing happening here... mine is starting to seep a little. Called local dodge service center and the manager said the 1st gen Durango may be the single hardest vehicle ever made to replace the heater core in and wants $800 to do it if I supply the core. Think I'll shop around for someone else.

I'm looking at comparisons and reviews online....so far unable to tell much difference. If I find something, I'll post it here.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:00 PM
foamhand
Amateur

Well, here's the skinny I've got so far. Local radiator shop suggested the best is OEM Mopar at Dodge if I wanted to pay so much. However, I'm replacing an OEM item that has failed so I question OEM for the price they cost.

I asked J.C. Whitney rep about Spectra Premium and another brand they offer...Pro-Rad. Spectra Premium seems to be the biggest name as NAPA, AutoZone etc. all carry them.

I couldn't find any reviews on Pro-Rad other than on J.C Whitney. They actually get a higher rating on JC Whitney reviews than Spectra Premium...but the JC Whitney rep recommended Spectra Premium...maybe because of a better profit margin?

The Pro-Rad line is made in USA in Dallas TX. Spectra is Canada I think.

Vista-Pro is another brand, but I read on one site that they are actually a Taiwan Tong-Yang product. I tend to steer clear of Chinese made unless I have no choice, especially for something that is so difficult to replace / install.

I will probably go with Spectra Premium unless I find more info on this Pro-Rad.

I think the most critical part of any cooling system longevity is keeping it clean and changing coolant per factory OEM specs. I was also told to always use distilled water in radiators. I didn't know that before. I knew you use it in batteries, but it makes sense to use it in any environment where corrosion and buildup is the enemy.

Good Luck. Todd

Old 04-25-2015, 02:21 PM
foamhand
Amateur

Latest I've found....ProRad seems to be a U.K. company with a factory in Dallas. Probably good quality too. Think I'll go with Spectra Premium as Canadian Parts are usually pretty good. Gotta be better than China/Mexico.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:59 AM
tshephard
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I went with the Spectra for $35 at amazon(vs $51 at Napa).
My history is that Canadians don't mess around and do get cold stuff right the first time (remote starters, etc.).
Thanks all, I will review later!

Quick Reply: Replacement Heater Core Selection