1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Trans Temp/O/D off please assist

Old 05-05-2015, 01:29 PM
hdna33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Trans Temp/O/D off please assist

So, I just recently bought this Durango and it looked pretty well taken care of. However about a month ago the transmission temperature light would come on and then kill O/D. Now I can only get about five-ten minutes of driving out of her before it goes limp.

I've done some light research(squirrel's excellent check valve delete post) and was thinking about doing the check valve delete but am having a hard time locating it.

This a picture of what I think to be the two return lines but if that's so it looks like the check valve was already deleted. It might even be an aftermarket radiator/fan. Any help/pictures would be great!

If the check valve is deleted then I'm at a loss for what's causing the issue.

In the interest of full disclosure I did make a very similar, albeit less involved, post over at "D"talk. Trying to expand my chances of help.

Attached Thumbnails 98 Trans Temp/O/D off please assist-imag0080.jpg  
Old 05-05-2015, 07:18 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The more knowledgeable will hopefully chime in, but... when that happened to me I just had the trans done. I do everything else in repair, figure doing a trans once or twice in life (and I'm old) is ok bucks spent. I suspect if you pull the fluid you'll see it looking pretty sad, burnt and dark, which is bad, says bands and such are worn. It ain't cheap to do it right, easily more than 1/2 what the truck is worth.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:56 PM
dxloat
Veteran

Just a thought, but a bad head gasket can cause overheating that all the new thermostats and water pumps in the world wont help.

Sorry, disregard my ramblings I posted in the wrong thread.

Last edited by dxloat; 05-05-2015 at 11:42 PM. Reason: posted in wrong thread
Old 05-05-2015, 11:10 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dxloat
Just a thought, but a bad head gasket can cause overheating that all the new thermostats and water pumps in the world wont help.
He's talking about the trans temp, not the motor temp.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:12 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The governor pressure senor and lock up solenoid assembly I believe have the trans temp in them. If those are bad it could cause the limp mode. The first things I would do is the the mentioned senor and the governor pressure solenoid as well. Then adjust the bands, new filter, and purge the old fluid. It does appear that your check valve has been deleted.

Last edited by adukart; 05-05-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:14 AM
hdna33

Originally Posted by adukart
The governor pressure senor and lock up solenoid assembly I believe have the trans temp in them. If those are bad it could cause the limp mode. The first things I would do is the the mentioned senor and the governor pressure solenoid as well. Then adjust the bands, new filter, and purge the old fluid. It does appear that your check valve has been deleted.
Yeah, upon further inspection both hard lines look redone. I was really hoping to not have to drop the trans pan. I think I vaguely remember reading that I'd need to mess with the Y connect. Is there a write up on this forum that I should search for?

Really appreciate all the help.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:31 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Trans Temp/O/D off please assist