1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

problem with abs breaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 03:11 PM
zombiewalker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with abs breaks

Just had the front right hub assembly replaced yesterday and now it appears to have caused the abs to start grabbing when coming to a stop starts at about 10mph even if you are going slow down to this speed or have started to break early from 30mph then it reaches 10 and same problem.

It will feel like it is pulsating harder then expected and also sounds like a grinding sound near the end of the stop, that's the best I can describe it. Also it feels like its on the drivers left side from the front but it is hard to pin point as it could be the front or all of them.

I need a cheap or free way to fix this I can take to the dealer if they will hook it up to their computer for nothing, but no dash lights and no error code when doing the turn 3 times to ignition and get a code on the speedo, just shows p done.

It is drivable and wont have this issue unless its at 10mph going at slow speed slightly more if needing to use the breaks normally.

Any help and advise is appreciated, I am not an expert when it comes to cars but can follow most advise I am given but will let you know if it is outside my area I want to do something of.

Thanks again

Old 06-19-2015, 03:59 PM
zombiewalker

Sorry I guess I should have mentioned we have a Dodge Durango 2000 limited edition please let me know anything else I should add to make it easier.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:46 PM
dxloat
Veteran

There is a wheel speed sensor in the hub so assuming you had a shop replace the hub they likely did something wrong or the sensor is bad. You can check the wheel speed sensors unplugged across the terminals with your multimeter.
The resistance should be:

4X4 front sensors 893-1208 ohms
4X2 front sensors 1800-2200 ohms
all rear sensors 1600-2300 ohms

Now a bad sensor wouldn't explain the grinding noise you mentioned so I would take that sucker back or take it apart yourself and make sure the brakes were put back together properly.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:26 PM
zombiewalker

thanks for the info, I could buy a cheap multimeter and test that, is there any videos here that I can use as a guide for taking the breaks off and putting them back. I have a general idea how to but would like to see it done first before tackling that myself.

Thanks again

Old 06-19-2015, 07:32 PM
dxloat
Veteran

If you don't know how they should look I would take off both front wheels and visually compare them to see if anything is out of the ordinary. You might be able to find a YouTube video for a Durango or Dakota brake job to help.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:38 PM
zombiewalker

I was also thinking before I take off the wheels if I disabled the abs with taking out the fuse I think I read here that there is something to remove in the fuse box under the hood and also from the drivers side fuse box, is it labeled or just numbered and how do the breaks respond without them in?

Thanks

Old 06-20-2015, 09:22 PM
dxloat
Veteran

You will still have brakes just not abs if you pull the fuses. Keep in mind if you are accustomed to relying on abs you will need to get used to braking without it as you will be able to lock them up and go into a slide if you brake hard.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:14 PM
zombiewalker

Only got a chance to test out today, removed the 2 fuses and problem goes away, but you lose the speedo. So it is isolated to the abs sensors I believe it might just be one or more I will test each one with the multimeter I have now but still 100F or more outside. Other than autozone are there any other places to get cheep but reliable parts?

Thanks again

Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 PM
dxloat
Veteran

It could be a problem with your abs module also but more likely a wheel sensor considering that was what was worked on before it started acting up.
I used to buy parts at Autozone but too many times I had to do jobs over because of defective cheap parts that failed. Of course they honored the warranty and promptly replaced the parts but not my time to do the job over. I would recommend Rock Auto online for your parts, you will get several brands to choose from there and shipping is fast in my experience as I have never had to wait more than 2 days for delivery.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:43 PM
zombiewalker

dumber question time.

I've not owned anything other than a car so not sure where to put the floor jack underneath I have taken a couple pictures of what I think might be correct any help is appreciated

thanks

over this hole?

inside this area?

Quick Reply: problem with abs breaks