1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 durango electrical problem

Old 07-21-2006, 03:19 PM
carl99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2001 durango electrical problem

The only place I could find one so far was the dealership. Price was $215.00. I am going to keep looking other places.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:30 PM
02DurangoSteelers

This is what I expected to hear. I think the old info needs to be transferred to the new module also, so it may be worth having the dealer do it, mine said he was not sure which one I needed, I guess there are a few different kinds, he needed my VIN, which I did not know from memory, he told me it would be approx $180.00, but they also said that they would need to run a diagnostic to be sure it is the module ( $80.00) plus labor.....
If anyone finds more info please let me know, I will do the same.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]
I had a simmilar problem with a Neon. Ended up being the battery. \
One cell was broken and would ground out the system. Have it load tested.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:43 AM
02DurangoSteelers

I ran it with the battery disconnected thinking that if it is the battery when I disconnect it everything would work correctly, it didn't, no change, so I assume it is not the battery.. Is this a reliable test? I also took out the Central Timer Module, disconnected one plug at a time and plugged it back in, the door locks started to tick and my interior lights and left headlight started working again, I am pretty sure it is the module.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:29 PM
carl99

My 02 Durango is doing the exact same thing yours is. I too really think it is the CTM but i have no way to test it to make sure. I am going to check with salvage yards today to see if they have any Durango's they can part out.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:56 PM
02DurangoSteelers

I have called around and checked online everywhere, even the dealers around here don't have them, the one dealer said they are back ordered, this tells me that this is no small problem with these vehicles. Make sure you have the part # because there are a few different modules for 02.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:05 PM
fernguy

Yep, 2001 Durango,
Same thing, I flick on the high beams and they flicker at a high rate and my dash lights go out except for the high beam indicator which is also flickering. The funny thing is, when my low beams are on, I can pull back on the switch to the point just before it clicks and I have both high and low beam just fine so it can't be a load problem on the battery. If this were an older vehicle, I'd say it was a chattering relay but I'm sure how they do things anymore. I have to replace the the CTM? And, it has to be configured? I think I like chattering relays better

Old 10-29-2006, 02:49 PM
CNIII

I have a similar problem with my '02 Dakota. Yesterday I went to get in and my door locks wouldn't work. Must be the remote batteries?I thought, they are original. Started it up and no headlights, no interiors, no dash lights, no fog lights. Turned on the wipers, no intermitent wipers only high and low. I started checking fuses, relays, and fuse links. Then I went to my Hayne's manual to check wiring diagrams. I noticed that all of the malfunctions related back to the central timing module. I went to a Dodge dealer to buy a new module and when I told him what I thought was wrong, the parts guy sent me to service and service did a complete dance around about how it could be this that or the other thing and I would have to make an appointment.

I have since read on the LemonLaw website that there was a recall on the '03 Dakota and Durango.
I also found this TSB (http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2002/18-020-02.htm) that describes the procedure for flash programming the module. This is way out of the scope of most garages and forget about DIY.
One website said it was behind the glove box on the '02.

I started ripping apart the dash to find this thing, [sm=headbang.gif]but I am going to put it back together and take it to a dealer tommorow.

If you read the TSB it tells you what models have a CTM.

I hope this helps anyone else facing a similar problem.

CNIII

Old 10-29-2006, 11:39 PM
CNIII

Follow up: After putting the dash and so on back together, I decided to try disconnecting the battery as was suggested in an earlier post. Whatdayaknow, everything is back on. I am going to call the dealer tommorow and see what if anything they can do about this. This could have been catastrophic if I had been say, driving up the turnpike at 70mph in the rain in the middle of the night and suddenly no lights and no wipers! I filed a complaint with the NTSB on their website (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/V...TOKEN=84161412) This is a serious safety issue and apparently I am not the only one to experience this.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:22 AM
toddlm1964

Can anyone tell me if you can replace the (central timing module) yourself ? Location on a 2001? I am having the same problems as everyone else and the Dealer in town wants $219.00 for part and one hour labor to fix. The person I talked to sounded like they knew all about the problem right after I mention (head lights Flicker). Help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 durango electrical problem