1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Adding a 2nd Electric AC fan help cool condesor

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 04:31 PM
MErango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a 2nd Electric AC fan help cool condesor

1998 Durango 5.9L Automatic RWD

I tried doing a search, but did not get much results, I am new to the forum and maybe I did not search properly. If you can guide by telling me a search topic to enter in the search lineI would be grateful.

I already have a factory electric fan that cools radiator and ac between radiator and engine. I am looking to keep the original electric fan. I just installed a new motor.

Looking to add a fan in front of a/c condensor. The clearance is limited and I will not have time to test fit the fan since the car will not be with me when I go to buy the fan. I have seen Hayden fans, but would prefer a recommendation from someone who has had good luck with either a Hayden or other brand.

I would consider 2 small fans or a single large fan. I have read I will need relays to install the fan also.

Any recommendations on Electric fans. Extreme temps is not letting me enjoy the ac. If you can point me to a post where someone did this mod I would be grateful.

Thank You

Last edited by MErango; 08-01-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MErango
1998 Durango 5.9L Automatic RWD

I tried doing a search, but did not get much results, I am new to the forum and maybe I did not search properly. If you can guide by telling me a search topic to enter in the search lineI would be grateful.

I already have a factory electric fan that cools radiator and ac between radiator and engine. I am looking to keep the original electric fan. I just installed a new motor.

Looking to add a fan in front of a/c condensor. The clearance is limited and I will not have time to test fit the fan since the car will not be with me when I go to buy the fan. I have seen Hayden fans, but would prefer a recommendation from someone who has had good luck with either a Hayden or other brand.

I would consider 2 small fans or a single large fan. I have read I will need relays to install the fan also.

Any recommendations on Electric fans. Extreme temps is not letting me enjoy the ac. If you can point me to a post where someone did this mod I would be grateful.

Thank You

1998's did NOT come with a electric fan, they where not added till 2000+models. You must mean the mechanical fan that is driven by the engine.

Only way to add a E-fan without removing the factory fan is to switch your cooling system to the 2000+ one. I will all swap over but you will need to switch the radiator, a/c condersor, upper and lower hoses and the shroud. Doing this will move the radiator back a few inches to allow for the fatory electric fan.

Last edited by Old_School; 08-01-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:52 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You might be able to squeeze a thin one between the rad and condenser if you don't have the trans cooler there. If not you may as well just replace the mechanical fan with a big electric one. I did and it's a world of difference.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 AM
MErango

I bought the vehicle with an Electric fan, may be previous owner did a Swap ? I bought the 2000 Style radiator and shroud and radiator hoses, but did not get the condensor and Transmission cooler lines. I decided to go back to trying an thin fan in front of AC condensor. Any recommendations ?

Thanks

Old 08-03-2015, 01:02 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MErango
I bought the vehicle with an Electric fan, may be previous owner did a Swap ? I bought the 2000 Style radiator and shroud and radiator hoses, but did not get the condensor and Transmission cooler lines. I decided to go back to trying an thin fan in front of AC condensor. Any recommendations ?

Thanks
You wont find a fan thin enough to fit either between the radiator and condenser or in front of the condenser. I have been there, tried to do that, learned the hard why while pulling my hair out.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 AM
MErango

Originally Posted by that_guy
You might be able to squeeze a thin one between the rad and condenser if you don't have the trans cooler there. If not you may as well just replace the mechanical fan with a big electric one. I did and it's a world of difference.
Any Ideas on the Big Electric Fan ?

Thanks

Old 08-03-2015, 05:40 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Late 80s early 90s Taurus 3.8l fan.

Quick Reply: Adding a 2nd Electric AC fan help cool condesor