1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Temp Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 02:29 AM
MChamp1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Temp Gauge Problem

If this was posted previously sorry I did look just not all 600 whatever posts and I may have just over looked it for as far back I did look. I baught a 2000 dodge durango r/t 5.9 all time 4 wheel drive tow package etc. Fixed pretty much all the problems except one. Starting it cold temp gauge reads 130 and when engine heats up it doesn't move and stays on 130. After shutting it off if I turn key to power or start it the temp gauge will read correctly however if sitting it'll slowing drop back to 130 n stay there if after starting it'll drop down to 130 faster. I changed thermostat n temp sensor but didn't help any. So any one else have this problem or know solution ? Sunday I'll do tests with ohms meter etc and could take time to figure out but hoping some one here already knows possible fix or maybe give me other ideas I may not already thought of.

Thanks
Matt

Old 08-15-2015, 10:48 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Hold the trip reset button down and turn the key on (not start). Keep holding the button down and the cluster should go into check/calibration mode. That should show you if the problem is with the actual gauge or not.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:27 PM
MChamp1

Thanx never new that one but test came up clean. Guage works fine with key just in power mode but once it's started then it'll gradually drop to lowest reading which is 130. Power from the pcm to sensor is fine, sensor even tho replaced still tested and it is fine. If I jump the wires guage still drops so I need to find a wire diagram from gauge back.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:31 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The temp sensor feeds it's signal to the PCM, then that runs the gauge. Since you've checked the gauges as OK, next I'd swap the sensor, since it's cheap and easy to do. It's a two wire sensor behind the alternator, screwing in downward (drain the coolent a bit first, left side bottom of radiator, on the side of the radiator).

Old 08-20-2015, 03:03 AM
MChamp1

Replacing the sensor was first thing I did Jeeper but thanks because sometimes we can forget simple things like that and it be the problem.Problem turned out to be the PCM

Old 08-20-2015, 08:42 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MChamp1
Problem turned out to be the PCM
Ah, of course, the same PCM that fixed the bump stop problem.

Quick Reply: Temp Gauge Problem