1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Infinity speakers blown

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 03:14 PM
USMC0451
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity speakers blown

Like everybody else that got the Durango with Infinity sound system, my speakers are blown now. I've read other forums saying that the speakers are cardboard! I'm about to take off the panels, but was wondering if anybody knew how many speakers I need to buy. Most sites say 8 speakers in 6 locations while a few say 8 speakers in 8 locations. What the hell? I was assuming I had 6 total speakers, 2 tweeters (by the mirrors) and 1 speaker per door. Can anybody clarify before I take off my panels?

Yeah, the obvious answer is "take your panels off and check". I live in San Francisco and don't have a garage so if I'm going to take my panels off on the street, i don't want to put them back on just to take them off again when the speakers ship.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:14 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

98-00 had speakers with separate tweeters in the front (component) and coaxial (tweeter integrated into speaker) speakers in the back doors. So 8 speakers in 6 locations technically.

01-03 had separate tweeters front and back I believe. So that's 8 separate speakers.

Unless you plan on bypassing the amplifier be sure to get 2 ohm speakers, otherwise the new ones (usually 4 ohm) will be quieter.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:31 PM
USMC0451

Thanks guy. I guess i'll pick up 2 pairs of the Infinity 6032cf 6.5" speakers. They're only $44.99/pair on Amazon (http://amzn.com/B002BZFSYA). I'm hoping the tweeters are still in tact. I only notice the rattling of the woofers when the stereo is on.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:42 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Well you've got new tweeters on those new speakers if the old ones arent.

You probably want to get some wiring adapters (I got some on amazon for a couple bucks) so you don't have to cut up the stock wiring. I think the speaker connectors may be different between 98-00 and 01-03, so pay attention to that when getting adapters. You also will need to reuse the old plastic spacer rings. I think I ended up drilling a couple small holes in mine to make the new speaker attach to it.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:31 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried a pair of the 6032's and thought the sound was crap, just not up to the sound quality of the OEM speakers, just my opinion of course. I bought OEM speakers from the dealer.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:01 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I've replaced OEM speakers on an infinity sound system before. I agree with JeeperDon. You will lose a bunch of bass. It won't sound nearly as good as the stock speakers.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:51 PM
USMC0451

@that_guy, poop, i didn't order wiring adapters. when the speakers get here tomorrow i'm about to find out if i need them or not.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:53 PM
USMC0451

thanks for the head's up @JeeperDon and @jkeaton. i've been listening to my music and sports with the bass at zero and the treble almost at the top for the last 6 months (so i wouldn't hear the rattle). let's hope that i will get a little bit of bass with these.

do you guys have any rec's on what i should put in?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:06 PM
USMC0451

Just to give everybody an update, the speakers do in fact fit in the speaker hole, but they do not match the spacer. i would have had to drill them in to the spacer and use sheet metal screws to secure. also, the wiring connector was different so i would have had to order adapters. i also found that i have tweeters in my rear doors, so i won't need to use these 2-way speakers anymore. going to find something with some awesome bass.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you drill into your OEM equipment, take a look at these. I bought a set of these for front/back in order to bolt on my aftermarket infinity speakers. No drilling or cutting. Exact OEM fit.

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK011

If your coil on your OEM speakers are working fine and just the surround foam is torn up, you can easily repair them by purchasing the re-foaming kit from simply speakers. You will get the stronger polyeuathane material vs the cheapy foam material. I still have my original OEM infinity speakers stored in the garage at the moment. Ready to use after I repaired them using the repair kit from simplyspeakers.

www.simplyspeakers.com

The aftermarket infinity speakers has a better full range to high range sound. Very crisp. But I did lose a little bit of bass. not a whole, lot, but some. I think that most people lost alot of bass possibly due to removing the plastic spacer that goes between the speaker and the door. The spacer provides a boost to enhance the bass response. Kinda like how the bazooka speaker setup works. Removing the spacer requires you to use very shallow depth speakers in order for the window not to hit the speaker so you will lose more bass response there. But the Bass punch is very clean compared to the muffled bass punch of the OEM's. Maybe it is because I went the 4 ohm route since at the time, that is all Infinity had for 6012. I think the current 6032 is 2 ohm. Gonna get rid of that under powered oem amp located at the passenger kick panel and install a 4 channel blaupunkpt D class amp. Got alot of good reviews on this amp and the size of the blauphunkt is pretty much the same as the OEM. Just need to figure out how to build a new bracket to hold it back in place on the kick panel.

Originally Posted by USMC0451
Just to give everybody an update, the speakers do in fact fit in the speaker hole, but they do not match the spacer. i would have had to drill them in to the spacer and use sheet metal screws to secure. also, the wiring connector was different so i would have had to order adapters. i also found that i have tweeters in my rear doors, so i won't need to use these 2-way speakers anymore. going to find something with some awesome bass.

Last edited by Kensai; 10-04-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Infinity speakers blown