1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango 4.7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Mathewsky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango 4.7?

Hello everybody,
I just saw a 4.7 durango SLT 4x2 with 174 000 miles on the odo.
Seller told me that he use to drive it mainly on highways... And normal maintenance on it (motor oil change every 15k, wheels beering, And transmission fluids) the mechanical control is ok...
I already own us suvs and for now I actually drive a 4.0 1994 explorer. My question is can I go for a durango with such a mileage?
Hope you Will understand what I wrote because I'm french! And trust me the Durango is a very exclusive SUV in my country.
Many thanks

Old 09-30-2015, 06:12 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to the forum. If you have the mainteance history and records, that will be a bonus. Depends on how hard it is for you to aquire parts for it. Depending on the year, it probably needs or will need something replaced or serviced at some point. 4.7 is a good motor. Make sure it has never been overheated if possible. That kills thos engines.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Mathewsky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Welcome to the forum. If you have the mainteance history and records, that will be a bonus. Depends on how hard it is for you to aquire parts for it. Depending on the year, it probably needs or will need something replaced or serviced at some point. 4.7 is a good motor. Make sure it has never been overheated if possible. That kills thos engines.
Hello and thanks for your quick reply
Concerning the parts I already buy on rockauto and eBay for my explo, sure I will do the same with the durango, the year is 2001... The seller drive it 140 and sometimes 150km/h on highways a bit too much I think...
The point that scare me is the automatic transmission, is it reliable on durango?

Old 10-01-2015, 07:41 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the 45rfe and 545rfe are very well built transmissions in these trucks, they are also used behind the hemi (which made much more power even in the early 2000's) so for your use it should be just fine.

as for any issues that the 4.7 is prone to? nothing besides the typical heat sensitivity of anything with a cast block and aluminum heads, so watch the temp gauge and you should be fine.

IMO 15k miles is too long between oil changes, but its up to you if you are comfortable with that number. i owned a 4.7 for 12 years and it was solid, so i wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Quick Reply: Durango 4.7?