1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Instrument Panel light and Dimmer switch not working.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 01:38 PM
hsahai
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Panel light and Dimmer switch not working.

Hello! I am new so if my question is foolish just bear with me. I have Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L 2000 year model.

I recently installed Sony cdx 250 aftermarket head unit in the dashboard. Now instrument cluster light and dimmer switch in not working stereo is however working good. I did connected all the wire myself by using twisting wires and putting electrical tapes. I think by mistake, I connected the crutchfield orange wire of harness to black sony harness wire Yesterday. However, I discunnected the orange wire today. The fuse # 17 for instrument cluster looks good. Still instrument cluster light and dimmer switch are not woking. all the exterior lights are working fine. One last thing- Dome light works in extreme up position of the dimmer wheel.

If this topic was covered before, please help me. I did research on this forum but could not get the issue resolved. Could it me possible that I fried the dimmer switch. How can I bypass the dimmer switch. Even if I have no dimmer capability of the switch, I don't mind. Please help me. My daughte drives this Durango and she is bugging me. If any of you want to see photos let me know.

Attached Thumbnails Instrument Panel light and Dimmer switch not working.-dodge-durango-harness-wiring-diagram.jpg   Instrument Panel light and Dimmer switch not working.-durango-dimmer-switch.jpg  

Last edited by hsahai; 10-03-2015 at 05:57 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 10-03-2015, 06:50 PM
hsahai

I am surprized that no one had this issue before. Come on BIG GUNS !!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-04-2015, 09:40 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

its the weekend most of us are out doing other stuff, give it a couple days and you increase your chances, if you would like to start checking wires yourself there is a FSM with all the wire diagrams available to you in the FAQ thread if you have any two wires that you were told to connect together on the same harness i would start by disconnecting them (at least for troubleshooting purposes until you figure out the issue)

Old 10-04-2015, 10:14 AM
hsahai

I am sorry if I offended any of you at this weekend, Just quick update- I removed the head unit from the Durnago. I self test the instrument cluster. Everything is working correct, no code came up. But none of the cluster illumination lamp is working. Is it possible that dimmer wheel is fried due to bad connection or all the tiny lamps are burned out?

Old 10-04-2015, 10:35 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If you look at the fsm you can probably find the pinout for the switch connector and try to jump the wires for the panel lights and see if they come on.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:35 PM
hsahai

how to get durango 2000 fsm? I just need to know which color wire of dimmer switch to jump to which color wire?

Old 10-04-2015, 04:24 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Look in the diy/faq thread in this section, there are links there.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:52 PM
hsahai

I have not figured out that what is wrong with my durango instrument cluster illumination light. In the mean time I solved my problem temporarily, look at the photo. It should work for some time.

Attached Thumbnails Instrument Panel light and Dimmer switch not working.-dodge-durango-dashlight.jpg  

Quick Reply: Instrument Panel light and Dimmer switch not working.