1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

coolant drip leak - pax wheel well / '03 5.9 Durango

Old 10-06-2015, 08:07 PM
frodiggs
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant drip leak - pax wheel well / '03 5.9 Durango

Very excited - just picked up an '03 5.9 for the wifey at an auction. Body/interior looks amazingly clean for 191k. I'm not that experienced mechanically but learning and getting more confident doing stuff. Excuse any misterms here, No jack or stands to use currently. Working on the car before it hits the road so not driven.

I have a coolant leak that happens for a few mins. after I turn off the car. It does not drip constantly but for maybe 20 mins after. It's dripping at the pax wheel well from 3 lines coming down then over (rear climate control areas?) at some connection points (see pic). Slow steady drip.

Heat is good in front but cold in rear cabin and back.

What's the name of these lines and connection and what is the fix? Seems i need to remove the wheel and liner.

Perhaps somewhat related seems i have the AC drain issue. Very large pool of water in the pax floor after running the car and heat yesterday. Pulled the rug and dried things out so far. Good thing is the issues are very close together in proximity.

tia

Attached Thumbnails coolant drip leak - pax wheel well / '03 5.9 Durango-wp_20151005_15_00_45_pro-small.jpg  
Old 10-07-2015, 09:03 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Those aluminum lines look more like ac lines to me. I think I can see a coolant hose next to the aluminum lines though.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:13 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

those appear to be the lines for the rear hvac unit, they should go from a small electric pump on or near the firewall to the rear heater core/ac condensor, im not sure if they are one piece or multiple to make the run from front to back.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:54 AM
frodiggs
Amateur

This makes sense. No heat in rear cabin so perhaps need a new heater core also. The lines are metal and run all along the pax side of the truck to the back, past the rear wheel. That area looks like it need some work as well (2 pics attached). Also the connection looks similar in the 2nd pic.

Digging for a service manual. I have an '03 Daktoa for now but not cutting it for the HVAC, rear cabin stuff. I just need some guidance on how to fix this.

ac lines ending at rear near pax wheel

rear ac line connection, similar to front where leak is

Old 10-09-2015, 08:19 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the full fsm for the 2002 durango is available for download (for free) in the FAQ thread at the top of this section

Old 10-09-2015, 12:09 PM
frodiggs
Amateur

Ah, went to that site a few days ago and swore it was was '02 Dakota but maybe i missed something. Thanks.

Even better in that FAQ was this thread which should help me out - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...orks-fine.html

So back to the drip, seems a Lokring is the connection 3/8 or 5/8.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:42 PM
frodiggs
Amateur

Would I have to remove the pressure before working on these HVAC lines?

I think i found the parts - Mopar Part 5069004AA A/C LINE REPAIR COUPLING 02 and 03. I think I only have one leak and 2 lines are heat and one AC or return.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:28 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

So is that an A/C line or a heater line that has the drips coming from it? The a/c system isn't going to be leaking liquid like that. Even though some parts of the a/c system have liquid refrigerant in them, it is a gas under normal atmospheric conditions, so if there is liquid on the a/c lines it most likely came from somewhere else.

And yes if you are planning to work on the a/c system you need to have it evacuated, then when you're done you need to replace the dryer, have it put under vacuum, and recharged.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:44 PM
frodiggs
Amateur

Assume it's a heater line, just trying to sort the line size as I see some parts here - http://autorepairdomestic.com/products/query/Mopar%20Part%205069004AA%20A,SL,C%20LINE%20REPAIR% 20COUPLING/

I'll take another look but from the pic it looks like the largest heat line so the 5/8 coupler. I can't find any details on the 3 lines as they are sold in a kit.

Might there be other ways to connect these?

tia

Old 10-13-2015, 09:17 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't assume. Borrow a radiator pressure test kit, pump up the system and find the leak when it's cool and safer. You can also pull the rubber/plastic flex panel behind the pass tire on the inner wheel well for a beeter view of those down tubes to the rear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coolant drip leak - pax wheel well / '03 5.9 Durango