1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango aftermarket stereo problems...agggggghhhhh!

Old 02-06-2016, 12:02 AM
Dwreckn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Durango aftermarket stereo problems...agggggghhhhh!

So I want to install a aftermarket stereo, I have wired the harnesses together and the conversion adapter plugged into the factory plugs. There is an extra plug on the factory radio(little white plug with two wires) does nothing from what I can tell since it doesn't need it on the factory one to work. Anyways the new stereo powers up and antenna is plugged in to make the power work. The problem is that I get no sound from the new radio but works fine with the oem stereo????? I'm stumped...anybody got a clue?

Please help me.

Original stereo works but the lights go out from time to time and I gotta bang on it for them to work. Just wanted an upgrade!

Thanks!
Derek

Old 02-06-2016, 12:18 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have the Infinity system, there is an amp between the head and the speakers. That amp needs the switched power line from the head connected. With Infinity setup, no amp power, no sound. Per the '01 FSM, the amp power line from the OEM head is DG/RD.

Last edited by JeeperDon; 02-06-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:19 PM
Dwreckn

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
If you have the Infinity system, there is an amp between the head and the speakers. That amp needs the switched power line from the head connected. With Infinity setup, no amp power, no sound. Per the '01 FSM, the amp power line from the OEM head is DG/RD.
Sorry for rhe dumb question, but what is DG/RD?

Old 02-06-2016, 02:18 PM
JeeperDon
All Star

Originally Posted by Dwreckn
Sorry for rhe dumb question, but what is DG/RD?
Dark Green with Red trace (or maybe the other way around?).

Old 03-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Ma6tk8sh1tek
Default Same issue with aftermarket stereo...

Dark Green with Red trace (or maybe the other way around?).
Where does the amp wire go? I have the adaptor wiring harness but it doesn't show where to connect to the amp wiring... anyone got a picture or reference of the correct words to connect the amp for sound? Thank you for the insight.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:29 PM
JeeperDon
All Star

If you have Infinity, then you have the amp, and the OEM stereo feeds the switched power to it through the OEM connector. If you use an adapter, you just have to ensure the switched power line from the new stereo goes to the adapter pin that mates with the OEM switched power line. Per my FSM, that OEM line is dark green and red and on the end of the 7pin black radio connector.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Ma6tk8sh1tek
Default Infinity amp

If you have Infinity, then you have the amp, and the OEM stereo feeds the switched power to it through the OEM connector. If you use an adapter, you just have to ensure the switched power line from the new stereo goes to the adapter pin that mates with the OEM switched power line. Per my FSM, that OEM line is dark green and red and on the end of the 7pin black radio connector.
Yes it has the infinity amp... There are a couple wires on the after market adaptor harness that don't connect to my system like a power antenna which I don't have. Then there is a double wire connector that doesn't connect tot he new harness that I overlooked. I will dig back into it and seek out the correct connections tomorrow... thanks for the help! It will great to finally hear the lights!

Old 03-04-2016, 07:28 PM
JeeperDon
All Star

Power antenna is 'switched power'. That line gets 12V to run the antenna when the deck is turned on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Durango aftermarket stereo problems...agggggghhhhh!