1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Overheating 2000 Durango SLT 5.9L

Old 03-16-2016, 05:39 PM
2000DurangoTom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating 2000 Durango SLT 5.9L

****Problem Resolved!****

First and foremost I am sorry if this has been discussed I used the search tool and also went back a few pages and couldn't find anything.

So the other day out of the blue my 2000 5.9L Durango (187k miles) starts over heating I topped off the coolant as the overflow tank was low dry. Test drove it some and again over heating I got it off the road ASAP and had it towed home.

So far I have replaced:
Coolant
Thermostat and Thermostat housing
Water Pump
And a complete oil change (to check if there was coolant in my oil. Answer: Nope nothing)

Vehicle heats up to the high end of the range (over 210* and near the end of the normal spectrum) after a short 15 minute drive consisting of a 25mph stretch about 1 mile long a 2 mile 40 mph zone and another mile of 25mph with 3 total stops. Check the coolant after each test drive and it still has coolant in the overflow tank at the end of the drive and after cool down.

I am at my wit's end on why this thing is STILL over heating any advice or anyone experience the same thing?

*****FIX*****
After doing some more browsing about coolant system issues such as heater problems etc. I saw a thread on burping the system especially if ran dry or changing the water pump. I burped the system by removing the vent cap from the hose and running the engine to normal operating temp shut it down and filled with water and repeated to make sure. Ran the car on the same route it was overheating (and then again to make sure) and the temp stayed under 210 the entire time actually cooler than it did before. Thanks to those that read this post and started looking into it for me it is greatly appreciated. I am posting the fix so that if someone runs into the same symptoms I was having they can resolve the issue quickly.

Last edited by 2000DurangoTom; 03-16-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:11 AM
aressler2k5

Sounds to me as if you have a clog of some sort in your coolant lines. You should have someone - or if you have the ability to do so, you should try - to flush you coolant system. Changing the pump might have addressed an issue down the road but not the immediate issue at hand. If the coolant level is the exact same hot as it is cold then there is nothing flowing through the system. As the coolant heats up it'll expand causing levels to read higher then they would cold. Have the system flushed and see if that fixes the issue.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:35 PM
PRFISHBAR
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2000DurangoTom
****Problem Resolved!****

First and foremost I am sorry if this has been discussed I used the search tool and also went back a few pages and couldn't find anything.

So the other day out of the blue my 2000 5.9L Durango (187k miles) starts over heating I topped off the coolant as the overflow tank was low dry. Test drove it some and again over heating I got it off the road ASAP and had it towed home.

So far I have replaced:
Coolant
Thermostat and Thermostat housing
Water Pump
And a complete oil change (to check if there was coolant in my oil. Answer: Nope nothing)

Vehicle heats up to the high end of the range (over 210* and near the end of the normal spectrum) after a short 15 minute drive consisting of a 25mph stretch about 1 mile long a 2 mile 40 mph zone and another mile of 25mph with 3 total stops. Check the coolant after each test drive and it still has coolant in the overflow tank at the end of the drive and after cool down.

I am at my wit's end on why this thing is STILL over heating any advice or anyone experience the same thing?

*****FIX*****
After doing some more browsing about coolant system issues such as heater problems etc. I saw a thread on burping the system especially if ran dry or changing the water pump. I burped the system by removing the vent cap from the hose and running the engine to normal operating temp shut it down and filled with water and repeated to make sure. Ran the car on the same route it was overheating (and then again to make sure) and the temp stayed under 210 the entire time actually cooler than it did before. Thanks to those that read this post and started looking into it for me it is greatly appreciated. I am posting the fix so that if someone runs into the same symptoms I was having they can resolve the issue quickly.
Hey, is it possible for you to put up the link to the thread you found on Burping?? I'm in the same boat you where and I really need to try that. I've been searching for the last hour and a half and can't find it.
I appreciate your help! Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating 2000 Durango SLT 5.9L