1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

rough idle after tuneup

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:51 PM
elheffy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle after tuneup

Hi
I have a 2001 Durango with 120,000, 5.9 SLT, I have plenty of experience working on my d..complete front end work, propeller shaft, shocks, shackles, etc. I did all with no problems, a tune up is a walk in the park.
I felt a little shutter figured I would do a tuneup, what could go wrong! By the way no check engine light....firing order is correct

I did complete tune up wires, cap, rotor, plugs, and a new coil...initially I put in Autolite double platinum plugs, my d was bucking and spitting...did some research and found out that some vehicles don't like those plugs, so I changed them to regular platinums {that is what was in the d originally}and the d ran better but still had rough idle at start and would spit and sputter at low speed and go away at higher speed, did check of tps with multimeter all three steps passed and I still put a new one in still had some spitting at idle and low speed. D starts right up no problem. put d on a hand held diagnostic machine nothing out of the ordinary and still no check engine light.... did basic checks IAC and MAP really no symptoms...this engine has no egr valve, did I forget something any ideas would be really appreciated...thanks in advanced and still no check engine light!!!!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Some of the trucks don't like the rare-earth plugs at all..... Best to just go with standard copper plugs.

I would recheck wire routing, verify firing order, just for giggles. (I have overlooked that, even after checking it three times.......)

Another problem is wiring routing. If you didn't use GOOD quality plug wires, then you may get cross-talk, and inadvertently fire two plugs at once, but, not very well..... There is a technical service bulletin out for that little issue.

Welcome to DF! Gonna move this to the first Gen durango tech section for ya.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:06 PM
elheffy

thanks...checked wire order 6 times!!!! just in case I will check the routing again they do look a little crowed on the 1,3,5,7 side..I thought of that but I didn't think Bosch wires 7mm would be prone to that, I will check anyway...thanks and I let you know

Old 05-23-2016, 07:04 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Your problem is probably those plugs. The 5.2/5.9 (I think the 4.7 also) only like regular copper plugs. Get yourself some of the plain old champion copper cores, and it'll probably be happy.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:18 AM
elheffy

I want to say thanks for your input....I couldn't believe it...it was the plugs... I thought by buying the best it would be a no brainer...I then put in what was there originally the regular platinums....to think it would be the cheapest plugs you can buy...I wouldn't have believed it, but now that I have experienced it first hand, I have learned another lesson regarding my Durango. Great truck...but what a sensitive pain in the butt!!! If you know what I mean.....have a great holiday weekend and once again thanks for taking the time to help me out

Old 05-28-2016, 04:18 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad to hear that took care of it. When you think about it, the ignition system was designed around the electrical characteristics of a copper plug, so when you put in a platinum plug that has a higher resistance, it's making the coil work harder to make the spark. Platinum isn't a better conductor, it's just more durable than copper which is why some new cars use it.

It's similar to ceramic brakes, they don't have as much friction as semi-metallic pads, but with that in mind from the start the manufacturer can spec larger brakes to mitigate it, much like they do with platinum plugs.

Anyway, happy memorial day weekend

Old 05-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Marcus Medina

One last thing people forget is that the 5.9 and some other engines are very sensitive to "Cross talk".
The Main spark wire must be at least 1 inch away from all other cables at all times.
Any close proximity will cause the car or truck to run badly.
Proper cabling is here: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

Quick Reply: rough idle after tuneup