1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Strange Clunking

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 08:54 PM
zosoair
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Strange Clunking

This problem has driven me nuts over the last month. I'm hoping for any advise anyone may have. Here is my setup:

2003 Durango SXT 2WD 4.7L Bone Stock 91,XXX miles

Here's the problem(s)

Best way to describe it.......Backing out of driveway or any backing, I hit the brakes and begin to go forward. As soon as I hit the breaks again I get 1 loud "THUMP" for somewhere under the Dodge. It will not thump again under any conditions while driving.

Lets say i pull into a parking spot. I back out and hit the brakes..."THUMP" ....shift into gear and roll forward......no sound again until I hit the breaks then "THUMP".

This thump is like no other. I compare it to the frame being struck by a two pounder metal on metal.

Here is what Ive done to fix the issue (without success)

Changed the front pass side sway bar link
Chaged the front pass side wheel bearing
Alignment
Changed the front pass side strut (front drivers side coming soon)

As you can see I think its coming from the front pass side but at this point I have no idea.

I've checked the ball joints on both sides. The boots are intact and not leaking. There is very minor play up and down, but even the alignment shop said no need to replace yet.

Any help please! And thanks!

Old 06-26-2016, 08:44 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It does it when you hit the brakes, but you haven't checked the brakes? Would be the first thing I'd have checked.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:39 AM
zosoair

I have checked the breaks. Everything fine. No uneven wear or movement.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:44 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep looking, you'll find it. I had to look three times, different days, last month to find I had a rear upper shock mount clunking. Fixed, loose bolt.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:48 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give some input on an issue I've had lately. Mine was similar. Did it really bad in reverse with brakes. But also at low speeds with big bumps (like driving up a curb usually one wheel at a time) the upper control arm bushings were the culprit. No play that the alignment shop could find. They had it 4 times and always told me it was something that it wasn't. The upper control arms on both sides were sliding on the bushing collars and causing the arms to rub on the frame where they mount. And after so much pressure, they would pop free with a very loud thump. I had to figure it out myself because apparently the alignment guy wasn't trained well enough to find problems in the front end. Moral of the story, don't trust them. Look on your own. That's what I learned.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:11 PM
Schmeezy_Peezy

Try checking your leaf spring shackles and springs. I had a loud thump like you said for the longest time and had no clue what it was until one day I decided to check the back out and sure enough the leaf spring broke off the mount towards the front and was clunking because it would shift when you hit the brakes. I have a 2003 dodge durango slt plus. So that could be your problem or not. Just thought I'd throw it out there

Quick Reply: Strange Clunking