1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

No overdrive and no auto shifting after fishing trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 06:20 PM
thepeshmode
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No overdrive and no auto shifting after fishing trip

Hi all. Past weekend after a overnite fishing trip crossing couple of streams that really didn't go above the height of the tires, twice. I did both in 4hi so I wouldn't loose traction on the rocks below, which I still have. On way back I noticed I there was no auto shifting as when I offroad I don't use overdrive. I manually shift thru the gears. Back on paved road I noticed the D wasn't shifting thru the gears and hasn't been the same since. Every exterior sensor should have dried by now and I checked the sensors that would have gotten wet. Which sensor is likely to go bad after a dip in the water? What sucks more is me and my friend didn't catch any fish all night long. All i did catch was a good beer buzz! After cold start I can manually shift 1st thru 3rd until it warm up then only 1st and 3rd gears are available. I'm limiting driving to city until I get shifting and OD restored. This is rebuilt tranny installed last april so I know it's out of warranty. Any suggestions will be helpful!

Old 07-27-2016, 06:55 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Check the connector at the tranny and check the fuses/relays. This really sounds like when you unplug the connector at the trans. Also what color is the fluid? If it looks like pepto bismol then you have water in the fluid and need to get it out immediately.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:48 AM
thepeshmode
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for helping. first thing I checked was the t/fluid and it was still a nice red clear color, then test drove just hoping I would be low on fluid. At correct level. I spray cleaned the connector that goes to the transmission range sensor and the terminals of the sensor. Used compressed air to dry. I'm going to change the output speed sensor later today and try to get to the solenoid pack connector. I have a feeling the pack may have shorted since there are no auto shifting. Only thing is I don't know solenoid pin connections and can't find any reference that would show me illist. or schematic. it has a 46RE transmission. Again, I'm only checking anything that can be going scuba diving while getting to where I want to fish! You'd think Dodge engineers would assume SOMEONE would actually use the 4wheel options on terrains every now and then. Not like the Durango Pavement Cruisers now a days! Like your D Mine is still pretty much stock less tire changes.

Last edited by thepeshmode; 07-28-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:12 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did yours come with a rudder and propeller?

Wonder if wiring for the solenoid pack is same as a 1500 with the 46RE.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 07-29-2016 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:06 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck
Did yours come with a rudder and propeller?

Wonder if wiring for the solenoid pack is same as a 1500 with the 46RE.
It is, I had a 46re from a 1500 in my durango. Same trans, just beware they had 2 different style dust shields, a new one is only like $20 from the dealer.

Quick Reply: No overdrive and no auto shifting after fishing trip