1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Overheating issue when a/c is on

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The clutch should engage the fan more aggressively as the engine gets hotter. Some clutches are designed to engage quicker/more aggressively than others.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:01 AM
PRFISHBAR
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Guy,
Assuming that the clutch fan is in good working order, what tells the fan to turn on and off? Is there a temp sensor that actuates the fan?

Also, for many years I've had issues with fumes coming into the car when the a/c is on. It's like I can't get the system to circulate the air in the cab. Would you know how to fix that?
Thanks.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:17 AM
PRFISHBAR
Rookie

Ok so after doing more research I now know how stupid the prior question on the clutch fan was. I drove to the auto parts store to see if they could tell me if I purchased a thermal or non thermal fan and they say I bought a HD thermal fan. I think there is something wrong with it because it does not operate as discribed on line.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:08 PM
PRFISHBAR
Rookie

Update: replaced fan clutch again. Took the old one back to advanced and got a new one. Oddly enough the new one has the same part number but it's a different brand. The old one was made in Korea and the new in USA. Can't remember the brand though.
After install, car is running cooler but not below 210. It took longer to reach that temp and it's now hovering at about 220... Pointer is right over the "0" on the 210.
I turned the a/c off and turned the heater on, been sitting in the car for 10 min and still waiting for hot air to come out. What does that mean?

Turned off air completely and the temp is now dropping.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:19 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Heater core could be a blend door issue or maybe even an air pocket in the cooling system. There's some information around here regarding air and the 5.9 cooling system, don't remember where it is though.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sound like airflow problem when at low speeds.

Before taking the recommended steps below, check the A/C condenser coil? Are the cooling fins bent out of shape meaning bent flat to prevent air flow? If so, you may need to purchase a straightening tool to comb out and try to straighten out the fins to let air pass thru. You can purchase this tool from Napa auto parts or other auto parts stores.

Also, I assume you may have a transmission cooler at the lower part of the truck. Check to see if the fins are severely bent out of shape also. If you do not have this issue, then proceed with the cleaning steps below.

Take your truck to a car wash and power wash the condenser to ensure it is really clean and clear to let air flow in. Mostly spray the high pressure water at an angle in relation to the condenser to try to brush off anything stuck to it, once all that is cleared, then you can spray directly into the condenser and ensure you can see the water go thru the radiator and exit the other side where your fan is.

Hopefully this may clear up your air flow issue when idling or at low speeds.

The HD clutch is the one used for OEM clutches. I would not recommend the severe duty clutch and it is hard to disengage it until 10 miles or so later so it will rob you of power and mpg.

Last edited by Kensai; 10-06-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:12 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, to me it seems as you may have a cooling issue.. I went through something similar a few years back. First thing I am going to tell you is just because you replaced all those cooling parts does not mean it can't be clogged now. I replaced my radiator, hoses, stat, pump and core and had issues with it 2 or 3 years later. One of the simplest ways to check if the heater core is clogged is to run the engine until it reaches operating temperature ( important because u want the thermostat to be open) carefully touch the upper radiator hose and see is she is hot.. if so check the 2 hoses (( passenger side) that go into the firewall to see if they are hot (( one is inlet to core the other is outlet from core) if you can touch both hoses bare handed and they feel Luke warm or cold you have a clogged heater core.. You should not be able to hold onto the hoses because they should be very hot.

Last edited by schusterjo; 10-06-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:18 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Oh, to check if the blend doors are working move the heater **** (( floor, vent defrost ext) and listen carefully.. you should hear a little door opening and closing.. If you can hear that door more than likely you don't have a issue with it.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:43 PM
schusterjo
All Star

This was already mentioned.

Last edited by schusterjo; 10-06-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:52 PM
PRFISHBAR
Rookie

I'm still having overheating issue. Traffic is a problem. I'm going to follow the recommendations posted and I was also told to ditch the clutch fan I bought and go with an OEM fan, so I'm ordering that.
Will keep you guys posted.
Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Overheating issue when a/c is on