1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

EGR Code / Gas Cap Code

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:27 PM
krazybob
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's ok. They take care of me. I expected it from my days working at a tune-up gas station back in the 70's.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:29 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by krazybob
I am on a fixed budget and finally saved enough to address this only to get hit with $114 to "diagnose" the problem. My AutoMD already diagnosed it just as the repair shop did. It went from a 0.20" hole in the canister identified by AutoMD to $400. Plus $61 for the SMOG papers. Did I just get screwed without a kiss? Are they using book repair times on me and not actual man hours? Bottom line, did I get hosed?
next time, tell the repair shop what you want replaced based of the information automd gave you. see how that works out for you.

Shops love it when customers self diagnose. When it doesn't fix the problem; its all on the customer. Then, the customer has to pay to diagnose and repair the problem all over.

identifix is a great repair info site. I have never used automd. these sites just list common repairs to the fault. Without testing, its still a guessing game. You did the right thing, its fixed right the first time.

Last edited by primem; 03-17-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:15 PM
krazybob
Rookie

Now its gone from a flow control valve the ECM. Make sense? What is the cost of a used ECM? Round about? Are these errors consistent with a bad ECM? 4 days and they couldn't find the problem and so oh well. Must be the computer.

http://controlservers.net/images/smogcheck2.jpg

Last edited by krazybob; 03-22-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:58 PM
primem
Record Breaker

you had multiple dtc, each for unrelated problems. which dtc is returning

price all depends where you go. pnp is $40. a fuel service wrecker cost would be half of a new one, $200 maybe

Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 PM
krazybob
Rookie

I don't understand the lingo :-( He wants $200 for a used ECM and $180 to program it. This was just a simple smog check and blew up in my face.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:09 PM
primem
Record Breaker

no way to assess the diagnosis without knowing what you are trying to fix. If your failing smog pretesting a fault code is set....check engine light is on....what is the fault code that is setting the light.

programming cost is high...should be no more than 1 hour. maybe he is adding
the installation time for the module.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:13 PM
krazybob
Rookie

P0441 and P0456 - the same codes my AutoMD gave me he got on his $10,000 machine :-) I am just looking for reassurance I'm not getting taken advantage of. I'm old and disabled and on limited funds.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 AM
krazybob
Rookie

Originally Posted by primem
next time, tell the repair shop what you want replaced based of the information automd gave you. see how that works out for you.

Shops love it when customers self diagnose. When it doesn't fix the problem; its all on the customer. Then, the customer has to pay to diagnose and repair the problem all over.

identifix is a great repair info site. I have never used automd. these sites just list common repairs to the fault. Without testing, its still a guessing game. You did the right thing, its fixed right the first time.
I'm not sure how to interpret what you are saying. I know enough too know not to tell the shop what's wrong and to replace what I tell them to replace. I'm concerned that they have had my Durango for 4 days and today I get blind-sided with a $400 ECM plus all of the labor alleged plus the other parts they used that didn't solve the problem. I was just asking those that know far more than I do if I am getting hosed.

Quick Reply: EGR Code / Gas Cap Code