1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Keyless Remote Issues

Old 10-01-2016, 09:40 PM
timmmmehh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Remote Issues

Hey there! So I own a Dodge Durango 2002 SLT that was handed down to me once I started driving (about 2 years ago, I am currently 19)

So for a long time now the key remote has not worked with the car. My dad told me that the battery died and even after putting in a new one, it still has not worked.

He told me that it needed to be reprogrammed, so I have just been manually unlocking my car. So I decided for convenience reasons that I wanted to get it fixed.

So after doing a lot of research, I went over to my local dealership to get it reprogrammed however they told me that its gonna cost 90 dollars to do it, and if it does not work I will still be charged. They told me that I can buy a factory new one, I said I would, but then they told me that it would cost $110 for the remote itself since it needed to be shipped.

Then they recommended that I get an aftermarket keyless entry system, instead of taking the gamble.

So I dont know really what to do, I can either get a new system completely, gamble to see if my current remote actually works, or just do nothing at all.

What do you guys think?

Old 10-01-2016, 11:01 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Aftermarket is a bad idea. And I'd find another dealer, $90 is a rip off for a couple minutes with a DRB tool. Even if you do need a new remote, they can be found on ebay for under $20.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:07 PM
timmmmehh

Originally Posted by that_guy
Aftermarket is a bad idea. And I'd find another dealer, $90 is a rip off for a couple minutes with a DRB tool. Even if you do need a new remote, they can be found on ebay for under $20.
That is another thing, they told me that 9 times out of 10, the ones you get online won't work. But they could be lying.

Will something like this work? Or does it need to be a used one that came from an original durango?

Old 10-01-2016, 11:21 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I was told there is a PIN chip in the truck matching the OEM key fobs (it's either under the dash, or plugged into the back of the CTM, could be either way). I understood that to mean you can't just use any key fob and have it programmed in as the fobs have to match the PIN. In these days of bluetooth and all, it seems like you should be able to program in any fob, just like you can program in any new chip ign key, but apparently not.

If you know for sure that those fobs came with that truck OEM, you might get lucky. Agreed though, price is high. My dealer did mine in 10 mins (for 1/2 labor, at $110/hr). In my case I swapped out the CTM and the PIN chip was under the dash. The 'programming' is just to tell the CTM the fobs are good as it's the CTM that responds to the fob.

Last edited by JeeperDon; 10-01-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:25 PM
timmmmehh

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I was told there is a PIN chip matching in the truck matching the OEM key fobs (it's either under the dash, or plugged into the back of the CTM, could be either way). I understood that to mean you can't just use any key fob and have it programmed in as the fobs have to match the PIN. In these days of bluetooth and all, it seems like you should be able to program in any fob, just like you can program in any new chip ign key, but apparently not.

If you know for sure that those fobs came with that truck OEM, you might get lucky. Agreed though, price is high. My dealer did mine in 10 mins (for 1/2 labor, at $110/hr). In my case I swapped out the CTM and the PIN chip was under the dash. The 'programming' is just to tell the CTM the fobs are good as it's the CTM that responds to the fob.
Right.. The only thing I worry about is if my current fob even works. Like what if its the right fob, but it cant be programmed if its broken? Is there a way to see if thats the case?

Old 10-02-2016, 10:17 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a crap shoot a bit on your fobs, but as that_guy said, going aftermarket is really a bad idea.

I was just looking on eBay, curious. They have a pair of new fobs for cheap, and the write-up claims a dealer can pgm them in. That would seem to be different from my PIN chip understanding.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:11 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I've bought at least 3 fobs on ebay and they programmed just fine to my truck, albeit mine is a 99. Once you have one working you can program up to 3 more yourself. My understanding is that each remote transmits a unique ID, and the truck is programmed with what IDs it should respond to.

Now the remotes are different for 98-00 & 01-03. One way to identify this is that the 98-00 ones have a ram's head on them and the 01-03 don't. Going by the FCC ID or Chrysler part number would be a better bet though.

Also, the autozones around here normally have remote testers that will light up if the remote works.

Last edited by that_guy; 10-02-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:07 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow $$90? That a rip off. I can go to my dealer and get it done for free ( the part counter guy will do the easy stuff and I just give him $$10 to $$20). I as well have purchased several from ebay and didn't have a issue at all but mine is a 99 ( you need to match up the numbers as mentioned)
Something I learned is that there are black remotes and grey ( grey being the tricky ones)

I also can tell you that a good locksmith will program the remotes for you as well.. If you go to them instead of having them come to your house it's much cheaper ((ust call and set up a appointment)
Use Google for a locksmith around you that offers remote programming .

Old 10-10-2016, 02:38 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the PIN situation may be for the sentry key (chip key) the fobs can be programmed easily by the drb if its your only fob, or by you if you already have one working (the 02 programming procedure is stupid easy and the fob i bought off amazon for $15-20 worked with 0 problems)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyless Remote Issues