1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Still burning oil

Old 10-26-2016, 08:07 PM
sycostang67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Still burning oil

Working on 1998 Durango, 5.2 with about 90k miles. It was burning up all the oil in less than 3k miles. I pulled the intake and installed one of the Hughes engine plates which it needed. I also changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV valve and oil pressure switch. It's still burning the oil though not quite as bad. The intake still looks clean, there is no smoke when cold starting or idling, only a puff when you stab the throttle. The old spark plugs were very clean when I replaced them, no signs of oil burning at all which really puzzled me. I have seen cars that only burn 1 quart in 3k miles and the plugs would be covered in crud. Nothing is leaking either, and I'm not sure what else to do.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:38 PM
sycostang67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Near as I can figure, the valve seals are worn. I put a camera on the back to watch the tailpipe and while there was no smoke on the initial start up. It smoked a bit as I took off and then stopped within the first mile and didn't smoke again for the rest of the day. Either way, it will no longer be my problem. My mother is having to sell the Durango to get a more handicapped accessible ride so she can carry around my sisters mother in law. The things we do for family.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:45 PM
RacerHog
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hummm.... Well that dont sound fun.....
Time look into a Caravan Transportation conversion with a wheelchair lift, Maybe at a local auction house.... http://www.blvd.com/wheelchair-vans/...GP44L05R492440

Best of luck....

Search this Thread