1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Want to add a Trasnmission Cooler & Temperature Gauge to 4.7 2000 Durango w/45RFE

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 07:59 PM
fcastro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Want to add a Transmission Cooler & Temperature Gauge to 4.7 2000 Durango w/45RFE

Hi everyone,

I have been towing a little lately (picked up a hidden hitch class 3). My truck has 170k on it. I just picked up a B&M 70264 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler. I wanted to also get a temperature gauge and one of the pods to put into the a-pillar so I can keep my eye on the transmission temperature. I will be doing my transmission oil filter and thought this would be a good time to add these.

I have the transmission service manual and it looks like I don't have an extra pressure test port on the 45RFE that I could just put a temperature sensor into. So going to assume that I would have to tap into one of the two hoses going into the radiator.

Wondering if anyone had an suggestions on what kit to use and if anyone knew of a write up anywhere? I keep seeing tutorials but not for the durango.

Was also thinking of picking up a B&M remote filter 80277. Really want to make my trucks last, thoughts?

Last edited by fcastro; 01-04-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:48 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not familiar with the 45RFE, but user mastertech probably knows a good place to put a sensor for it if you shoot him a pm. As for the cooler, I'm not sure if it's different for 2000, but for 98 & 99 the tow package gave you a radiator with both the external and internal trans cooler on it, so you might be able to add a cooler without and modifications. It was a a simple swap for my 99.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 PM
fcastro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply thatguy,

Do you recall which mastertech? The site has a few but no single "mastertech" from what the search just gave me

I will shoot him a PM.

I am seeing a kit that adds an external transmission filter and includes a sensor and temp gauge for the dash. I am going to be ordering a pan that has a oil removal screw. Thought that might be a good spot to add a sensor but further reading suggests that might not be a good spot because all the fluid moves around and changes temp in the pan.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:52 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

He should just be mastertech, maybe with an underscore in there

Old 01-15-2017, 08:20 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Since your doing B&M, you could get their aluminum trans pan. It has a 1/8" npt port for a temp sensor, at least it does on my B&M pan for a 46RE.