1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango Nonresponsive Instrument Panel Gauges and inaccurate warning lights lit up

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 10:26 AM
sidevinder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Durango Instrument Panel Gauges not working and inaccurate warning lights lit up

I have a 99 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 5.2L that is running well, but one morning all of the gauges were not functioning - Speedometer, Tach, fuel level, battery level, oil pressure, temperature dials were stuck at the lowest position, odometer was unlit, and the following warning lights were lit: fill washer, fuel light, check engine light, and others. The dash illumination lights were functioning correctly, car drove fine, and OBDII meter showed no codes, indicating the check engine light should not be on.
I corrected this by fixing a faulty ground in the blue plug behind the instrument panel (right side). The black wire with tan stripe (Bk/Tn) in pin #4 of this plug is supposed to connect to ground and it had no continuity to ground. So, I spliced into this wire and ran a new wire to a good ground. Now, all gauges are working and the warning lights are accurate.
I figured I would post these details as a solution, in case someone else ran into the same issue.

Last edited by sidevinder; 01-15-2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: more accurate title