1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Dodge Durango 4.7 - Electrical Issue Following Heater Core Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:37 PM
Eric Hanke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Durango 4.7 - Electrical Issue Following Heater Core Replacement

Hey everyone!

My son and I recently (almost) completed a complete heating system rebuild on our 2003 Dodge Durango 4.7. We did a good job labeling the dash components during the tear down and have everything (we think) connected back up after replacing the heater core, heater/AC blower, and the blower motor relay.

Also installed new plugs and ignition coils and a few new coolant hoses (radiator upper and lower, and the coolant lines leading up to the heater core.

Wanted to mention I removed the positive from the battery before beginning any work.

Spend this past Saturday and Sunday on the tear down, and most of today on the reassembly. Got everything connected but no ignition.

The reminder beep is heard when installing the key, exterior power mirrors, and the interior lights work. However, everything on the dash is dead and the car doesn't even attempt at starting when turning the key. Additionally, nothing powers on when the vehicle is in accessory position (radio, fan, etc). I reset some of the connectors on the back of the fuse panel as a first step.

My question. Could the battery be dead enough, after disconnecting the positive for 3 days? Should I attempt a jump? Not sure where to look since the problem seems to affect multiple systems. Wanted to ask if there are any special things a layman needs to do after disconnecting the dash for 3 days.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:45 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd start looking for bad grounds.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:15 AM
Eric Hanke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. After several hours of poking around I found the culprit. There is a beige connector with a brass bolt under the drivers side of the dash which was seated but not fastened. After re-seating the connector AND tightening the bolt she fired right up!!!

Cannot fully describe the feeling of accomplishment having completed this undertaking.

I now have a fully functional heater. Will wait a day or two before having the AC evacuated and charged.

I could not have completed this repair without all the knowledge in this forum.