1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

car wont start, radio displays time but no music

Old 01-17-2017, 03:51 PM
Karx
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start, radio displays time but no music

after removing the dashboard the car wont start! is the radio supposed to be grounded? its a 2000 dodge durango, i changed the battery about a week ago and everything electrical seems to b working except the radio will only display the time and not play any music! help plz!

Old 01-17-2017, 03:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Did you reinstall the dashboard or is it still out? The way your post reads, you removed the dashboard and now your vehicle wont start and your radio is messed up.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:09 PM
Karx
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Did you reinstall the dashboard or is it still out? The way your post reads, you removed the dashboard and now your vehicle wont start and your radio is messed up.
the dashboard is mostly disconnected but it sitting inside the car where it normally would be. that is correct! i tried reinstalling it one time and that was when i figured out the car wouldnt start and now i have it off again because i am trying to figure out what i did wrong

Old 01-17-2017, 11:21 PM
MJBatulis

Do you have the instrument cluster connected? If not try reconnecting it then try to start it

Old 01-18-2017, 09:48 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I would assume at least the cluster needs to be connected. I wouldn't worry about the radio until you get it all back together and everything connected to where it's supposed to be connected.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:25 PM
Karx
Amateur

I would assume at least the cluster needs to be connected. I wouldn't worry about the radio until you get it all back together and everything connected to where it's supposed to be connected.
but i vaguely remember unscrewing a ground wire from the back of the radio that i cannot find now, and im pretty sure besides that i had reconnected everything! where exactly is the instrument cluster located? ty guys for the help!

Old 01-18-2017, 03:48 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Where is the instrument cluster located? Right in front of you when you are driving. You know, speedometer, tachometer, gas gauge, oil pressure, coolant temp, etc, etc.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Karx
Amateur

Where is the instrument cluster located? Right in front of you when you are driving. You know, speedometer, tachometer, gas gauge, oil pressure, coolant temp, etc, etc.
roger that! did i mention i am a total noob when it comes to car stuff? So the way you plug that in is those two plugs behind the speedometer?

Old 01-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Karx
Amateur

Originally Posted by Karx
So the way you plug that in is those two plugs behind the speedometer?
or is there something else that i am missing??

Old 01-20-2017, 12:43 AM
Karx
Amateur

quick update: It was the instrument cluster that wasnt plugged in all the way, there was also some corrosion on the battery connection which i switched out and now the car is running again! ty guys for the help. tomorrow its off to the shop to get the freon drained and then i am going to tackle this heater core job

Search this Thread