No Crank, No Click, No Nothing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:27 PM
raleigh5
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Crank, No Click, No Nothing

1998 Durango SLT 5.9 Automatic.
This problem had been intermittent for a couple of months. Now it is all the time. Turn the key and nothing happens with the engine. No crank. But all indicator/warning lights are as usual. For a while, there had been 1 Click when turning key to start.

Here is what i know:
battery is good. only a couple months old.
battery terminal connectors are cleaned/no corrosion or gunk.
NSS is good.
Starter will crank the motor if i run a jumper to the S terminal.
All related fuses and relays are good.
Ignition switch is good....changed it today, even though there had been power at the yellow wire on the original when turning the key to Start.

So does this leave the wiring as the likely cause of this condition? Wire from ignition switch to NSS and to the starter relay and then to the starter? Or is there any computer involvement that i should also check?
Really appreciate any feedback/advice.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:23 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Does it actually start if you put the key in the on position and put power to the starter solenoid?

Old 02-15-2017, 06:47 PM
raleigh5
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used multimeter and test light to test the slot that the starter relay plugs into in underhood fuse box. Looks like there is an intermittent short somewhere in the connecting wires going from the fuse box to the starter S terminal. Showed no continuity on the shortest wire until i'd moved it around a bit to disconnect/connect from the longer wire attatched to the starter. i hope this is it. going to try and repair or replace that wiring tomorrow.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:48 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I replaced my starter a year ago, the solenoid wire and the actual starter power wire were both in bad shape. They run right by the exhaust there on the drivers side. It's a lot of heat for those wire casings. I just built myself a new harness while I had the starter out. It was an easy build. I've never had an issue.