1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Let me have your opinions!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:25 PM
iDurango99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let me have your opinions!!

Hey fellas, just wanted to run a scenario by all of you and see what everyone thinks. I have have something in mind but want to see if you all come to the same conclusion.

2000 Durango 5.2l RWD, bought this truck off of a lot after my 99 took a dump. So I got this extremely cheap since the CEL was lit, checked the code and turned out to be the output speed sensor on the tranny. Wheeled and dealed based on this problem and eventually left with the Durango for 1450 out the door. It has 150000 miles and after replacing the sensor CEL went out.

SCENARIO: So I noticed there was a small hiccup while sitting at idle, almost like there was a misfire. Did a full tune-up as I always do when buying a used vehicle. Hiccup remained, Did an oil change, checked ATF fluid and although it is at proper levels, due for a change. It is not bad but smells a bit burnt. So while driving there is most definitely a whirring noise from under the truck around the firewall. The Durango doesn't slip and I haven't noticed it trying to pop out of O/D. Shift from 2nd to 3rd is a tad harsh, and when I run through the tree going from N to D there is a lurch. Watched the RPMs while driving and the only thing I noticed was 2000 rpm @ 30mph. dont know if this is normal.

QUESTION: If you were me what would your next move be, I do have mechanical ability and prefer to DIY. I do have a feeling of what I think it is, but wanted to see what you alls first impression was. And also to see if you would, change the fluid first or go straight to the problem and try to replace it.. Thanks for the input and sorry for the books worth of post.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:37 PM
iDurango99

Damn, 150 people looked and not even a guess? Let's try this...does this sound like a Torque converter to anyone?

Old 02-25-2017, 11:10 PM
noman
Professional

Well I guess I look at it this way. 150,000 miles and who know if the tranny was ever serviced. I would say no. Just from past experiences and I noticed a lot of people don't or forget about that part of the vehicle. The burnt smell is a good sign of that. Could that be causing the hiccup. I don't know I've never heard of it. But that doesn't mean it's not the cause. So now you have to decide of servicing it is a good idea or not. Maybe it will fix the problem or show the problem even more. If it were me I would take it to a trans shop or if you know how, look at it inside and see if it needs rebuilt. Another thing I look at is if there is a hitch on it. Some people know how to pull trailers and not tear up a tranny other don't.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:17 PM
iDurango99

Originally Posted by noman
Well I guess I look at it this way. 150,000 miles and who know if the tranny was ever serviced. I would say no. Just from past experiences and I noticed a lot of people don't or forget about that part of the vehicle. The burnt smell is a good sign of that. Could that be causing the hiccup. I don't know I've never heard of it. But that doesn't mean it's not the cause. So now you have to decide of servicing it is a good idea or not. Maybe it will fix the problem or show the problem even more. If it were me I would take it to a trans shop or if you know how, look at it inside and see if it needs rebuilt. Another thing I look at is if there is a hitch on it. Some people know how to pull trailers and not tear up a tranny other don't.
Thankyou, I suppose I am just going to drop the tranny tomorrow and have a look.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:43 PM
noman
Professional

I was always told if the trans fluid smells burnt that is not good.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:39 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Burnt fluid is a sign of heat. To much is not a good thing for any trans. First off are you aware of the plenum gasket issue? I would replace it with the Hughes kit and not have to worry about it ever again. Did you check your TV cable? Do a pressure test it may tell you what's going on. The governor pressure solenoid & sensor may need replacing. If you open it up it maybe a good idea to replace them.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=27091

http://www.atraonline.com/manuals/se...0/2000_154.pdf