1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Torque Converter??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:30 PM
iDurango99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter??

Howdy folks, I have a 2000 Durango 5.2l it is new to me with 151000 miles on it. Recently I noticed some strange behavior that I thought was my brakes, tore everything down and brakes look brand spanking new, caliper piston is perfect.

SYMPTOMS: When coming to a stop everything is fine but right before coming to a complete stop, there is a sudden jerk of all forward momentum. Similar to if you stomped on the brake pedal. I do not notice any noises or vibration. No slipping of gears, tranny fluid was flushed and new filter about a month ago. When taking back off from a complete stop, there seems to be a winding or whirring noise. On the freeway after about 60 mph seems like there is no more power to give unless I really give it gas, but RPM's stay steady with no fluctuation.

Any ideas, I dont really know where to start looking.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know how often the transmission was flushed before you owned it? I don't know if it would cause the problems you're having but if you wait a long time on these transmissions it's better to just do a drain and refill with a new filter. If it has 100,000 miles with no flush and then you flush it, more often than not, you do more harm than good.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

thats new one for me, did you check the rear brakes? maybe they are catching near the end of travel?

to add to the above, NEVER flush an automatic transmission, the high pressures and cleaner that they use very commonly destroy seals, a fluid drain and filter replacement are all that is necessary.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
thats new one for me, did you check the rear brakes? maybe they are catching near the end of travel?

to add to the above, NEVER flush an automatic transmission, the high pressures and cleaner that they use very commonly destroy seals, a fluid drain and filter replacement are all that is necessary.
I've never had one flushed at a shop or anything. What I was referring to would be to do it yourself a couple quarts at a time using the transmissions pump to do all of the work rather than pressurizing the system from one of the shops machines. But I also agree with you, change fluid and filter often enough, and don't even worry about it.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:16 PM
iDurango99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all of the replies, I did not know the risks involved with flushing. Unfortunately the vehicle was doing this prior to the flush, that's why I went ahead and had it done. Good knowledge to know though. It doesnt feel like the brakes, just that type of feeling. It is more like a momentary complete loss of momentum. But I take it from the responses this is not the typical symptoms of a TC?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:16 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
I've never had one flushed at a shop or anything. What I was referring to would be to do it yourself a couple quarts at a time using the transmissions pump to do all of the work rather than pressurizing the system from one of the shops machines. But I also agree with you, change fluid and filter often enough, and don't even worry about it.
I am familiar with the procedure you are attempting to explain, i believe one of our older members differentiated that by calling it a purge instead of a flush. avoids confusion among newer members and as you sated is safe bc you are only using the tranmissions built in pump to do the work.

I believe this procedure needs to be done in neutral on these trucks just FYI (for the same reason you check fluid level in nuetral)

Old 03-28-2017, 08:15 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Oh I see. Never heard it called that. Makes sense though. I've never had to do that to mine. Truck had 215,000 miles on it when I got it, there was no way I was going to flush or "purge" it. Especially not knowing the condition of the inside of the trans. But 2 or 3 times in the first year I owned the truck, it blew off the trans cooler lines at the front and sprayed fluid all over the place. So mine got somewhat purged multiple times on accident. The reason I went back to the factory cooler