Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge SUVs > Dodge Durango > 1st Gen Durango
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

headlight problem

Old 06-21-2004, 04:28 PM

Default headlight problem

My headlights have recently stopped working. All of the other lights still work properly, the headlight bulbs and fuses are fine. I suspect that it is the switch assembly but I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? any "light" shed on this subject would be appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 06-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to slza805
Default RE: headlight problem

I had the same problem last summer. When the headlights would not turn on I switched to the highbeams and switched back to low then they would work. I checked both the bulbs and fuses nothing wrong. So far its has not happend again. Stealership told me it was possibly a loose cable to the headlamps.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:43 PM

Thanks! Ran out to the truck as soon as I saw the reply and it worked, you saved me $95.20. I am now a huge fan of the site.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to slza805

No problem, hopefully some can help me in my post about my engine noise....

http://www.dodgeforum.com/tm.asp?m=46753
Old 07-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to robust57

Even though it sounds like the problem fixes by the highbeam method, I had the same problem where switching to high beams worked for a while. it usually happend when I was 10,000ft or higher in elevation. Then it would happen all the time and the high beam trick stopped working. I ended up having to replace my switch, and when I did it looked like the switch had caught fire, melted plastics everywhere.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:59 PM

Default RE: headlight problem with tilt wheel down, not the multi-switch help needed

I need some help please, I have replaced the multi-switch that controls the highbeams but the headlights still shut off when tilt wheel is down...
I did not notice any obvious pinched wires when the column plastic shroud was removed but I am hoping that someone out there will know exactly what the issue is and how to resolve this problem!

Please offer any advice.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2004, 02:02 PM

Im having this problem too! what a pita!

actually its my wifes durango so i really need to fix it!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:14 PM

subscribed.

how hard is it to replace light switch?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:59 PM

The light switch in the dash is a 5 min. job. Just lightly pry forward the plastic piece that surrounds the front of the dash. There's multiple plastic "pegs" that hold it in place. Once this is off, you can get to the three phillips screws that hold the headlight switch in place. To get the connectors off you have to move the little red locks to the other position first.

I've got the same "non-working headlights" problem. Switching the high beams on and then off worked for a while but then the low beams wouldn't cooperate any more. I replaced the headlight switch in the dash and the problem didn't go away. The multi-function switch that some of you have replaced - is this the switch assembly that has the turn signal and high/low beam switch on the steering column that you're talking about? Should I try replacing this next??

Sorry, I know I posted this in another Durango forum but I really need an answer so I can get the wife's ride fixed!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:33 AM

My 2000 Durango is experiencing the same problem where the low beams stop working when the high beams are turned on. I realize this is an older thread but did anyone successfully solve this particular problem so it did not recur?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 PM

Vehicle: 98' Durango 5.9L

I am having this problem as well. The low beams do not work. When I pull back on the high beam they come on. It will not stay on unless I have it pulled back. It does not click and stay on by itself. Do I need to replace the switch on the steering column? When I turn on the headlights, I have to push in the dash switch about a quarter of an inch, in order for the lights to come on at all. If it is the steering column switch, is there a website that explains how to dismantle the steering column?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Champion

Vehicle: 00' Dodge Durango

If your multi function switch will not lock the high beams on then that is most like your problem. There is no need to dismantle you steering column. Get your hands on the proper Torx driver to pull the screws out of the molding around the steering column then I believe it's just some phillips head screws on the multi function switch.

HD Diesel Mechanic
00 Durango 5.9L SLT
I've got a few things done
Old 12-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Professional

Just a comment on the dash mounted headlight switch. Mine went bad so I contacted the local Dodge Stealer. They would have to order the switch and wanted $113 for it. Knowing that was rediculouis, I went to Advance Auto just down the street. They had the same thing for $29. All I had to do was to transfer the push/pull **** to the new switch and it has been fine ever since.
HD Transfer Case, tow package, 3.92:1 LSD,TBS, K&N Filter, High Flow Exhaust, HyperTech Tuned for 87 Octane, General Grabber HTS P255/70R 16", Super Spring for Towing, Westin Push Bar (for Fords & Chevys).
Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkslord View Post
I am having this problem as well. The low beams do not work. When I pull back on the high beam they come on. It will not stay on unless I have it pulled back. It does not click and stay on by itself. Do I need to replace the switch on the steering column? When I turn on the headlights, I have to push in the dash switch about a quarter of an inch, in order for the lights to come on at all. If it is the steering column switch, is there a website that explains how to dismantle the steering column?

Any help is appreciated.
Sorry to bring back a thread from the dead, but my wife's durango is having this exact same problem (multi switch not working). I am wondering if the poster fixed the problem, and if so, what do I need to do to fix it?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 AM

Default Same problem on my 1996 Ram

I have the exact same problem except that I have a 1996 Dodge Ram1500, it happened a few months ago.
I played with the high beam switch and sure enough they came back on and stayed on until just a few days ago, now nothing seems to be working.
This sounds to me much more to me like a design problem but I have not been able to locate a recall. But we all know that just by reading this thread on just this one website that this is no coincidence.
I emailed a guy that I know on the Dodge Ram forum and those guys usually know pretty much everything about these trucks, so when and if I get a reply from him and it is of some help I will be sure to post it.
But from I have read so far it looks like you guys have already found that it is the dimmer switch on the steering column and not the headlight switch itself. If I am wrong there please let me know.
And if my chance I did happen to miss a fix that you guys already found if someone would repost that for me please.
I still believe that this is a design flaw and should be handled as such, in other words a recall. Headlights are a state and national driving requirement so it does fall under the law as a manufacturer replacement problem so maybe there is some kind of recall and it is just fallen to the bottom of the stack because of so many newer recalls in recent years.
Good luck to everyone, and thanks for any help.

Terry White
Old 10-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Sorry guys, I found the same thread line listed under the Ram series puckups so I reposted over there.

Just so you know I was able to find a recall for this problem but it only applies to the Ram 3500

Here is the URL for the recall in case any of you want to check it out.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_t...Dodge_Ram_1500

Sorry again for not looking for a correct thread before I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywhite View Post
I have the exact same problem except that I have a 1996 Dodge Ram1500, it happened a few months ago.
I played with the high beam switch and sure enough they came back on and stayed on until just a few days ago, now nothing seems to be working.
This sounds to me much more to me like a design problem but I have not been able to locate a recall. But we all know that just by reading this thread on just this one website that this is no coincidence.
I emailed a guy that I know on the Dodge Ram forum and those guys usually know pretty much everything about these trucks, so when and if I get a reply from him and it is of some help I will be sure to post it.
But from I have read so far it looks like you guys have already found that it is the dimmer switch on the steering column and not the headlight switch itself. If I am wrong there please let me know.
And if my chance I did happen to miss a fix that you guys already found if someone would repost that for me please.
I still believe that this is a design flaw and should be handled as such, in other words a recall. Headlights are a state and national driving requirement so it does fall under the law as a manufacturer replacement problem so maybe there is some kind of recall and it is just fallen to the bottom of the stack because of so many newer recalls in recent years.
Good luck to everyone, and thanks for any help.

Terry White
Old 12-23-2011, 10:17 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

I just started having this problem last year...went to the stealership and walked out with a $350 bill. They swapped out the front control module...a year and a week later I had the same left side low beam go out...after going ballistic at the stealership, I started to do research between this site and others and my haynes manual. This is what I came up with...when I removed the front control module, I noticed some type of foreign matter on the first and last flat pins...took a small screwdriver and scraped on it to try to better the contacts...plugged it all back up and they've been working for a month now. Hope this helps!!
Old 12-26-2011, 03:49 PM

I have a 2000 Durango. My passenger side headlight has been dim, so like normal I changed the bulb, no change. So then I changed the plug and it didnt help either. Any answers?????
Old 12-26-2011, 03:49 PM

Help!!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Vehicle: 99' Ram 2500 V-10 Sport QC 4X4

It could be the ground or the positive wire lead. You will have to do a resistance check and voltage check to see which wire it bad.

Moto: I don't take sides --- #1 - V10 Club - Club Member

AKA....The Durango Section Godfather
Old 12-26-2011, 09:12 PM

Tags
beam, dodge, headlight, high, low, multiswitch, problem, ram, replace, replacing, signal, stratus, switch, turn, working