1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango Shuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:28 AM
kobaltblauSC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango Shuts off while driving

PROBLEM Any help is appreciated, I have searched multiple forums, but this is my problem, While driving normal down the road the vehicle will just shut off. After waiting for a few minutes to cool down it will start back up as if nothing happened.

MAINTENACE PERFORMED It does not have any issues with the oil sump screen or low oil pressure, and I have changed to the upgraded plenum gasket(the old one was toast), tranny speed sensors are both good, and have performed preventive maintenance regularly. The motors runs smooth at 109 mph for hours on end on the Autobahns of Germany. The check engine light is not on! My D has been to the Dealer(Chrysler dealer due to being stationed in Germany) 3 times for the same problem. They have changed the battery??, cleaned the throttle body, and changed the O2 sensor so far.

I have read on other posts about this issue but no body followed up with posting thier solution, so if anyone has a clue, please let me know. I am currently deployed to Iraq and can only help my wife by giving suggestions. She is gonna make me buy a new one if this one doesn't get it fixed!!! So help me out guys!

Thanks in advance,

Jason Baldwin

Old 08-06-2006, 05:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Durango Shuts off while driving

Have you checked your fuel pressure? It might be bad.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may want to check the power wires connections around the starter. My 85 charger did this exact same problem. Engine won't start, but it can crank over. Just driving down the road and all of the sudden no power, engine completely dead. Coasted to a stop. Let it sit anywhere from 5-10 minutes to an hour, then the car starts up again. This is a random times so there is no consistently when it does it. When it did die on me again, fortunately it happened during the day where the dealership was still open so they can quickly check it out while the engine won't start. They found a bad power wire from the starter where when it gets hot, it acts like a thermal fuse or something and kills power to the engine. When it cools, it makes reconnection. Wierd. Obviously this power wire is used to feed power to my spark plugs and maybe the fuel injection.

Not sure if you can verify power on these newer models, but on my 85 model, if there is no power to the engine, My tach will not move during cranking. If power is fed to the engine, the tach flutters during cranking.

The following users liked this post:
Llhipps (06-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2006, 09:52 PM
White99

Mine did the same thing. I had to replace the PCM. Hope this helps

Old 08-12-2006, 01:03 AM
1 bad durango
Professional

two things first do you have an aftermarket alarm system ,if you do they might have hooked up the starter kill switch wrong or the selinoid is going bad,if no alarm system then check to see if your plug wires are touching steel under the hood i know when they start to go bad they will arch off of anything steel hope it helps ,,,,,,,,THANK YOU FOR FOR PROTECTING MY FREEDOM

Old 08-15-2006, 08:15 PM
sailfish

With regards to your email. It just happens again. Driving along free as you please and the motor dies. And I changed all those parts. Fortunately I had a fuel press. It seems that the new pump I put in was not the problem, but I have no electricity to the pump. The fuse check out which lead me to spend time tomorrow tracking down the problem. Will keep you posted.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Kensai
Champion

ORIGINAL: sailfish

With regards to your email. It just happens again. Driving along free as you please and the motor dies. And I changed all those parts. Fortunately I had a fuel press. It seems that the new pump I put in was not the problem, but I have no electricity to the pump. The fuse check out which lead me to spend time tomorrow tracking down the problem. Will keep you posted.
Not sure but someone can confirm. Does these durangos have a safety fuel cutoff switch somewhere.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Kensai
Champion

ORIGINAL: sailfish

Not sure but someone can confirm. Does these durangos have a safety fuel cutoff switch somewhere.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:38 PM
bisslre

I have the same problem with a 2000 dakota, drive down the raod and it just shuts off.. starter turns over but will not start. Wait about an hour and it will restart. Drive 15 more minutes and it shuts off again. Replaces the main relays, coil, ECM... Now the truck sits cause I do not trust it. There are no trouble codes and the dealer has no idea what is wrong... If anyone knows what is wrong please let us know.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I don't know if this would apply to the original poster but bisslre I think I may know your solution but it'll cost you 5 dollars I take cash, checks, and money orders... HAHA j/k check it out I had a buddy that had an old bronco II and he had the same exact problem as you after driving for a little bit the truck would die and the longer it sat the longer you could drive it, does this sound familiar? Well it ended being his cat was clogged up. He had his mechanic cut it out and weld a straight pipe problem solved. The bronco II had 2 cats anyway...

Quick Reply: Durango Shuts off while driving