1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rattling and chirping noises coming from front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:34 PM
Will i am
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling and chirping noises coming from front end

I have intermittent but frequent rattling and higher pitch chirping noises coming from the front end of my 2000 Durango 5.9 4x4. When I recently got my Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires, the tire shop checked the alignment, and said that it is out of alignment, but they could not realign it until numerous parts are replaced, including the steering (pinion?) rack, ball joints, and might have even said U joints. I have misplaced their estimate, but it was over $1,000 for all of the parts and labor. Can anyone tell me which part(s) specifically might cause the noises I am hearing, and in what priority I should replace what parts of my front end? Thanks.............

Old 06-01-2016, 07:25 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Clicking and chirping is usually a CV joint. Inspect your boots. While you're there, inspect the other components. Replace suspect ones. If I had the truck in front of me, I could probably tell you, but I don't, so you will have to inspect it yourself. If unsure, take pictures of the ball joints, tie rod ends, CV joints, etc and post them here.

Quick Reply: Rattling and chirping noises coming from front end