1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Cigarette Lighter Socket

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Jg2fly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette Lighter Socket

I have a 2000 Durango R/T. The hot cigarette lighter is not working. The other socket that is tied in with the ignition is working fine, and is fused but I can't seem to find a fuse for the Aux. socket. The outlet in the back is also not working. Any advise?

Old 10-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Cigarette Lighter Socket

Other than checking the compartment fuse under the driver side next to the kick panel, you have looked at the fuse box that is under the hood?

Old 10-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Jg2fly

I looked there as well, actually pulled every fuse just to make sure. Can't figure out where it would be.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you burn it out? I have the same problem, my cigarette lighter plug is fine but the power outlets are jacked. Mine blew out when I bought a lighter plug for a cb. The lighter plug had a poor design where the positive and negative terminals were too close and in this particular plug were damaged and touching. I learned a good lesson there, don't buy from Strauss they won't even acknowledge my complaint and give me $ to get it fixed and they won't even attempt to fix it and they have a shop on half of the store at this particular location. [:@]

Old 10-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Jg2fly

I had a bad power inverter plugged in that blew the power outlets. So is there any way to fix it? Do you know if it is fused?[&o]

Old 10-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Mean Green
Champion

I don't think it's fused I used a test light on everything I thought it could be hooked up to and nothing. I think it is in the lines somewhere but I'm at a loss to say where...

Old 10-03-2006, 08:44 PM
ONEENVY

I have the same problem too, but sometimes mine will work and sometimes it wont. really weird. i plug my cell phone charger into the dash one and it wont work. so i switch to the one in the center console and it works, and vice versa. i think it stopped working all together now, but havent checked in a couple days. if you find those fuses let me know.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:30 AM
Mean Green
Champion

It sounds like a bad connection for you unless they are not on the same circuit. Before my outlets were blown my cigarette lighter plug wouldn't work. After it blew I was digging around in there with a test light and got a light on for the lighter plug so I just bent the terminal in a little and it has been working fine since, just be careful not to touch the + and - terminals if you decide to use a test light and disconnect the battery if you try to adjust the terminal a little that will keep you from arching...

Old 11-03-2006, 05:12 PM
jashv

It's funny so many of us have the same issue yet no-one knows of a fix yet. I just put a tester on my 2000 Durango, with the car off the cig puts out 12.2 v, with the car running it puts out 14.4, the other aux outlet AND the one in the rear are dead. Tore the dash apart looking for an in-line fuse only to read in the manual after the fact that Dodge decided to put in a special wiz bang item in the fuse box at the engine to replace all inline fuses.

So, did anyone replace all the fuses in the box at the engine compartment?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 PM
surfersp8

Same problem with mine. I have a 2000 and my cigarette lighter doesn't work and I can't figure it out. I'm about to go pull every fuse in that kick panel fuse box mentioned above. Anybody ever fixed this problem?

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter Socket