1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Battery keeps dying??!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:05 PM
BLACKonBLACKonBLACK
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery keeps dying??!!

Hey, Got some news for ya. Got my D back from the guy at the shop today. It was a short in the electrical system. He never told me exactly where but it was a short somewhere... Who knows. If your somewhat savy with tools, grab your self a voltameter a pair of dykes and some electrical tape and get crackin. Try to isolate which circuit is drawing. What you can do it do a test on each of the main circuits when the truck is off and see where you could be loosing power. If youve tested all the main ones id just bring her in. Shes your D and she deserves a good fix. Haha. Well hope ive helped. Good Luck

Old 12-24-2006, 08:17 PM
tattoohead
Professional

I've narrowed mine down to the security system. Maybe I'll find out which circuit(s) it uses and give 'er a test. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:40 PM
tattoohead
Professional

Mine's been in the shop since yesterday (Thursday), hopefully they will call today with some kind of solution. I'll ask them exactly where it was, maybe it can help someone else. BTW...I cannot post using firefox...only IE...

Old 12-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with finding your problem as far as posting on firefox I would do a search in the tech support section and if nothing else put a post up some of our guys on here know the answers to those types of problems.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:49 AM
joey_86405

I have a 99 Durango. New off the show room floor. I am on my 5th Battery. The last 4 just failed. No questions, buy a new batt. I am beginning to have problems with my present batt. It has died twice in the last month. Both times I have taken it in, got it charged and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the batt. Down to the Batt exchange, they check the elec sys free. Says there is nothing wrong with the altenator or EVR. I put an amp meter on the ground of the batt, showed 8 milliamps, well within the range. Now what.

This afternoon, I got home and thought I would have a look see at a couple of things. When I parked the Durango in the garage, for some reason I put it in park and applied the parking brake. When I went back out, about 30 mins, I notice the Brake light was dim... and the four gages, fuel, voltage, heat and oil press were moving up slowly and then dropping off. I sat there looking at these movements and brake light sort of amazed. The key was not in the ignition. How could this be happening. I started the engine, turned it off and still the same movements and light. Took off the parking brake, light went out but movement of the instruments continued. Now knowing what was going on or what to do, I turned the radio on, turned the head lights on, nada. Then I turned the AC/heating switch on and it stopped. I could not duplicate the action with the AC/heating sw in the on position. I turned it off and could duplicate the brake light and movement of the gages. I got to thinking about the two days the thing had died. I had driven somewhere early in the morning and turned off the AC/heating(I live in AZ) and had not turned it back on. The vehicle had sat for about 8 hours before I got back in it and found the batt dead. I can duplicate this problem, but my mind asks. what connection does the AC/heating switch have with the instrument cluster and why would it be coming on and shutting off. Don't know. But I'll bet is is one of those cheap parts like the CTM or PCM,.

My present solution: Don't shut engine off with AC/heat switch in off position.

HEELLLLPPPPPP????? TOOO???

Old 01-31-2007, 05:55 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: tattoohead

BTW...I cannot post using firefox...only IE...
I never have a problem with posting on Firefox.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:56 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Tattoohead, did you ever get your problem fixed? If so, what was it? The alarm system? Personally, this sounds like an alternator problem all the way.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Joey_86405, I replied in your thread.

Quick Reply: Battery keeps dying??!!