1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

blower motor bad or not??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 07:17 PM
jdockter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: blower motor bad or not??????

Hello all, new to here. Here's my problem.
I replaced blower motor resistor, it went out, I replaced again. It went out. I'm an electronic tech and know that there is a temperature fuse installed that goes out, so I buy the fuse for $3 to fix the blown resistor block. Still blows. I have install hotter and hotter fuses and still blows. I notice that it seems to blow when on the lowest blower setting. I guess the blower motor isn't putting out enough air to keep the resistor cool and that's why the fuse blows. I'm betting on the motor not being good enough to spin fast enough at the lowest setting and keep the resistor pack cool. It has gone out with the heater and the AC.
Has anyone had this problem?

Old 07-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: blower motor bad or not??????

You may need to check the blower itself to make sure it is not partially shorted out? Or you may need to check for air blockage somewhere in the duct system.

I am curious, does anyone know if anyone makes a aftermarket replacement blower that can blow alot more air than the OEM blower? Just curious as most other vehicles especially imports, their mid fan speed settings is equivilant to my high speed setting. I assume the blowers in the import have much higher RPM's or have a better fan blade configuration to pull more air than some of the domestics.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
The Feast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Bad Blower Motor?

Not intending to hijack this thread, but my situation seems similar:

After a short period of running the AC, the air speed from the front vents drops to nothing. If I turn of the recirculation and crack a window, the air speed comes up a bit. Rear AC is not effected.

If I let the car sit for a few hours (while at work) then drive, the air moves through the vents, but I notice that now it seems to be "slower". Selecting a different fan speed make no noticeable difference. Selecting to recirculate doesn't make a difference.

If I run it long enough, the front vents "trickle" cold air. Better if I am not recirculating and have cracked a window open. Rear AC not effected at all.

I am assuming the the blower motor needs to be replaced as there is always cold air, just not moving after running the fan for a period of time.

Could this be the resistor that I have read about in the prior posts?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:22 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Feast,

What year is your D? It makes a difference on the path of action to recommend on the resistor replacement.

Also, could be a low charge allowing the system to freeze up.

IndyDurango

Quick Reply: blower motor bad or not??????