1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

just plain weird, difficulty starting

Old 10-26-2007, 07:34 PM
claudecomardo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just plain weird, difficulty starting

Ok, here is a good one. My friend has a 2000 durango. It ran fine for the first year and then one cold morning it would not start. She found out the only way to start it was to put the gas pedal to the floor. After it warms up it starts normally. The vehicle has been to three differant dealers (a week at a time). She got the same song from each. They do not know what is wrong with it. Turns out they can only fix what they can find. There are no fault codes on the computer. They have tried the basics such as sensors and such, no success. She called the big wigs at corporate and they said "well what do you want us to do about it?" Um..stand by your product? Well anyway, I was wondering if any of you have had the same problem or maybe there is a psycic in the room that can tell me what is wrong. My friend has been dealing with this a long time and is really hoping I can find an answer. By the way, I am a proud dodge truck owner. Thank you all.
Claude
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-26-2007, 11:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: just plain weird, difficulty starting

Have the dealer hook up the DRB 3 and ck under no start screen. You could have a cam or crank sensor going bad if its a 4.7. Or maybe the TPS is causing the problem. One other thing the dealer could do is hook up a co-pilot.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your durango is losing fuel pressure after the engine is shut off? If she has to put the pedal to the floor to get it to start. That may be another area to check. Check the pressure, then the fuel pump and then injectors.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:24 AM
browncs63
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not a question but a solution. Our company runs a 1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 V8, which was having problems starting. We have been online multiple times to see if others had a solution and we found that owners were spending 1000's $ trying to figure the problem out to no avail, replacing part after part.
The PROBLEM:
Drive the Durango shut it off - go to start and would crank only - leave it for a while - come back start right up. Check engine light came on stayed on, threw a P0340 code (according to manual and dealers - no Cam shaft sensor on this model - it was throwing a false code). Little by little problem got worse to point Durango would not start at all. Seemed like it might be factory alarm with engine kill.
OTHERS ONLINE TRIED:
Coil; Crank Sensor; IAC; battery replacement; new distributor cap, rotor and plugs; replacement and/or flash of PCM; Throttle Positioning Sensor; Fuses; amoung other items. Brought to Dodge they could not figure it out.
WE FOUND IT TO BE:
Distributor pickup which duals as a cam shaft sensor. This is located under the distributor cap. A $50.00 part solved the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just plain weird, difficulty starting