1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

location of cam sensor

Old 03-06-2007, 03:52 PM
orlandozfreak
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default location of cam sensor

im getting a P0344 (cam sensor circuit intermittent), i need to know where the sensor is so i can do some more tests to determine if the sensor is bad

anyone know where its at (engine is an '03 4.7ltr), i think its the sensor above the oil filter, but im unsure and wanted more input on it

Old 03-07-2007, 02:59 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: location of cam sensor

OF:
Cam sensors are usually attached to the end of the head. I have not specifically located the one on my 01 4.7, but if you see a sensor mounted to the front of either head that is probably it. I would hope they would not have mounted it to the rear which would be a nightmare.

What symptoms are you having?? If it is a starting issue, the CS can surely cause that.

Don

Old 03-07-2007, 03:03 PM
orlandozfreak
Rookie

i was unaware the 4.7 used overhead cams?

its an intermitent problem, sometimes she wont start, some times she will, heavy WOT accel results in bucking, randomly shuts off

Old 03-07-2007, 04:22 PM
orlandozfreak
Rookie

i believe i've traced the problem back to a school lab activity, when we were getting waveforms, i remember there being an issue with getting the cam waveform, we had to try a couple times to, get the back probe in, so im going to check that first

Old 03-08-2007, 07:18 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

OF:
Yes the 4.7 is an SOHC motor.

As a semi educated guess, I think the cam sensor is only used upon engine start up so the computer will know where the cam is in relation to the crank for timing. I don't think that info is needed anymore once the engine is running.

If anyone can confirm or deny this theory, please speak up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

Old 03-08-2007, 08:03 PM
orlandozfreak
Rookie

if it was only used on start-up then why am i experiencing drivibility issues during normal driving? like stalling, loss of power from ignition cutting out, etc

i have reset my computer, unplugged all 4 connectors checked pins 34 and 35 (cam and crank respectivly) of connector 2 (grey/white), both contacts appear to be at correct depth in plug, i believe the issue lies in the plug where the wire meets the metal contact piece, unsure of how to test this

need to know location of cam and crank sensors for further testing with DMM and O-Scope

will be datalogging code set on monday to check other parameters occuring when code is set

Old 03-08-2007, 09:46 PM
orlandozfreak
Rookie

did some more digging

CMP is located front of engine passenger cylinder head, below valve cover
CKP is located in block next to starter (starter does not need to be removed to service sensor)

there is a TSB out for loss or interrmittent loss of CMP signal (TSB #082200 dated in 2000)

https://dodgeforum.com/recalls-and-t...082200/TSB.htm

CKP failure is also known to throw P0344 code

upon inspection of my own motor, wire harness for CMP appears to have been moved (factory wire retainer that slides onto valve cover bolt, was not on said bolt) leading me to believe this is a prior issue

also: fault (loss of signal) must occur 20 times before MIL will come on

also: CMP is monitored at all times, to keep motor in time, since timing is always changing during accel and decel, PCM must compare CKP and CMP to determine proper timing

Old 03-09-2007, 01:53 AM
n8ech
Record Breaker

OF:
Good info. Thanks for the correction. Looks like you are on the right track.

Let us know how it turns out.

Don

Old 03-09-2007, 01:01 PM
orlandozfreak
Rookie

took out CMP, no visible damage from contact with reluctor, pulling CKP next to inspect

believe issue may be related to connections not the sensors themselves

found another TSB relating to erronious codes being set, for total loss of CKP or CMP signal, believe my issue may be related, correction for that TSB is total PCM reflash....doing more research into this TSB will post more info later

Old 03-11-2007, 01:19 PM
89turbomini

lmk if you need a test sensor as i have 1 of each. that i got when i installed a 03 motor in my 00 and found out that the 03 has a differant pcm and differant tone rings. DOH. alan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: location of cam sensor