1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

Intrepid tranny issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:47 PM
alden_012
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intrepid tranny issue?

My mom has a 94 intrepid with about 92,000 miles.she boughtit a few months agofor $1,300 or $1,400 (I can't remember)...the other day we drove about 40 miles for some medical tests, on the way back once it got warmed upitwas acting like it was stuck in 3rd or something, we were going about 35-40 and the rpms were at about 3,000 if that helps... I don't think it cooled off very much while we were in the hospital, we had to park in a parking structure and were only in therefor about an hour..I know the fluid is bad (it lookslike a really thin brown color)and needs to be flushed, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything other reason it would do this!we are on a very limited income! this probably the nicest car we've ever had, that is until this happened. also if we have tocome to a complete stop it slips between 1st and 2nd gear before it gets stuck!we just changed the crankshaft position sensor because it was having problems starting and was stalling all the time. we never really went very far until just recently... any suggestions?oh and in case you didn't notice I am just a teenager so please try to explain things the best you can!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:49 PM
alden_012
Default RE: Intrepid tranny issue?

oh yeah if it makes any difference it's the 3.5l engine!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:20 PM
timsalas
Veteran

Sound like its stuck in limp mode. Dunno if 1st gen had limp mode, but thats what im thinkin', could try draining the fluid ( DO NOT FLUSH IT because flushing may dislodge gears etc) and refilling it, see if that helps?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

I don't think it's the speed output, but it may be... First a few Q's.

Do you have a speedo flux/drop off?
Do the RPM's Flux up and down?
Any engine light/codes?
Is there a "slip" feeling?

From what you said in your post, I'm leaning towards a shot trany... but you should definitely change the fluid first (especially if its burned (brown)). There are also some additives that are made to help give a bit of life to a failing/aged trany. Sometimes they can cause more harm than good, so I'd do a fluid change before I tried those.

It the speed output sensor from the trany is bad, it can also cause you to either not shift, or shift incorrectly If this is your problem, you should also see speedo issues though.

It may be a bit awkward, but if you just bought it, you may call the previous owner to ask for any history/info. Just reassure them that you are just trying to get info to repair, and they may be more honest. That can aid in the diagnostics.

Good luck,

Kurt

Old 06-03-2008, 12:14 AM
alden_012

what is a speedo flux/drop off? the RPM's obviouslygoes up and downwhen you move the gas pedal but thats it (I think)! the codes are clear now that i changed the crankshaft position sensor (just 12 which is the battery has been disconnectedand 55 which is the end of the codes)! and going into 2nd gear it feels like it slips! once it cooled off it ran fine,and was not stuck in "limp mode", everyone i've talked to is telling me it's proly not the transmission going out and to just have the fluid flushed, what is your opinion on that? thetimsalas guy said not to have it flushed and to just empty and re-fill it... I could probably do that tomorrow if you think it's worth it.. what about the speed sensor orarelay? could it be that the filter is clogged? how hard isthe filter and fluidto change?thanks for your help!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:59 AM
tom01973
Rookie

don't flush the trans.it will wash out what ever is left of the clutch packs.change the filter and the fluid at the same time.
when you pull the pan down look for lots of shinny material in the bottom of the pan.i'd be willing to bet there is a lot there and it's slipping because there isn't much clutch material left.
this will cause the trans.to run much hotter and discolor the oil

Old 06-04-2008, 10:34 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: kurts2

I don't think it's the speed output, but it may be... First a few Q's.

Do you have a speedo flux/drop off?
Do the RPM's Flux up and down?
Any engine light/codes?
Is there a "slip" feeling?
What I was trying to say is I don't think you are in limp home... a spedo flux is just that, at a constant speen, it will flux (jump) around or go dead (drop off).

From what you said in your post, I'm leaning towards a shot trany... but you should definitely change the fluid first (especially if its burned (brown)). There are also some additives that are made to help give a bit of life to a failing/aged trany. Sometimes they can cause more harm than good, so I'd do a fluid change before I tried those.
Here I was saying to change the fluid...you may get some more life out if it, but it's hard to say for sure how much. A fluid/filter changed is regular maintance. If it has not been done, the wear and damage are not "repairable" from a fluid change. When "brown" however, you need to change it before you go on!

It the speed output sensor from the trany is bad, it can also cause you to either not shift, or shift incorrectly If this is your problem, you should also see speedo issues though.
Here I was once again refering on how I didn't think limp mode

It may be a bit awkward, but if you just bought it, you may call the previous owner to ask for any history/info. Just reassure them that you are just trying to get info to repair, and they may be more honest. That can aid in the diagnostics.

Good luck,

Kurt
Here I was trying to get any history (like fluid change or previous symptoms). I hope this cleaed my post up.

As for how hard, if it has never been changed (or has been sealed like out of the auto plant), it can be hard to do. You can get an aftermarket filter that comes with a pan gasket, but originally Dodge used some killer strong sealant. I had to get my car on a lift and use a long pry bar to pop it off.

If you are unsure or do not feel comfortable with it, it's a cheep job at a small garadge. Just ensure they either use MOPAR spec fluid, or bring your own and make sure they use it. Just tell the auto parts store year and make, they will give you the correct fluid spec.

Let me know how it turns out,
Kurt

Old 06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
alden_012

yup, the transmission is going out! we just had to take it to a shop to have the fluid changed because I could not get the pan off! there was some metal shavings in there (I don't know how much, they just said some and that the transmission is going to be going out soon)... I still dont understand why it only does this when it's hot, but the shop said that's its definatly going to go out!... we were on our way to the hospital (about an hour away) and all of a sudden it down shifted into 3rd and rpm's were going crazy (up and down), we were justleaving town going about 50.. atleast we didn't have far to go to get back home! anyways thanks for all your help!

Old 06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

No problem, I hate to have been the bearer of bad news. I will saw however, the 3.5 is a very good engine. If the body and all is ok, I'd recomend spending the $$ to fix it up.

Good luck to you both,
Kurt

Quick Reply: Intrepid tranny issue?