1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

1997 DODGE INTREPID WON'T START

Old 07-30-2008, 08:02 PM
fred d
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 DODGE INTREPID WON'T START

WE WERE PULLING IN TO THE DRIVE WAY THE OTHER AFTERNOON AND THE CAR DIED AND WON'T START. IT STILL TURNS OVER. THE BATTERY IS NEW. THERE IS NO SPARK WHEN YOU CRANK IT OVER. A) HOW CANI CHECK TO SEE IF THE COIL IS WORKING B) AND HOW CANI CHECK THE CRANK SENSOR. THEY ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT COME TO MIND. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS I WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: 1997 DODGE INTREPID WON'T START

Do the key trick and tell me the flash codes (turn key from off-to-run (NOT START) three times, on the third time, the check engine light will blink two digit codes. The last code is 55).

Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 PM
fred d

tried the key trick and nothing happened. I did check the fuse block under the hood and found that the engine controller fuse was blown. I replaced it and that one went as well. Does that help at all? And resently I replaced the starter. Not sure if that would mean anything or not.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:22 PM
ralphael101
Rookie

Ok, question first. Does your check engine light come on when you turn the key on? If not, you probably have a wire touching(grounding out) on your engine or something. Thats why your fuse keeps blowing when you put a new one in. Try pulling your main wire harness away from the engine and tie it up. Also check the other wires. Then put a new fuse in and see if it starts. If you now have a lit check engine light but the car still will not start, change the pcm. This means that it got shorted out from the wire touching. The fuse couldn't protect it but so many times. You can pick one up from any junk yard pretty cheap to see if im right. U-pull it junk yard are the best in this case. Probably about $20. Take the numbers off of yours to make sure you get the same one. Let us know how you make out. This helps this site alot. Good luck

Old 09-04-2008, 01:52 PM
fred d
Default It's Fixed

I wasn't able to figure it out so I put it in the shop. They found that the fuse for the ecu blew. They don't know why. They replaced it and everything has been working fine ever since.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Garyaka1gardner@aol.com

I had a similar problem with mine and my flash code was 1255 what does that mean

Old 07-19-2010, 12:20 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Garyaka1gardner@aol.com
I had a similar problem with mine and my flash code was 1255 what does that mean
12 is common, it means the bat was disconnected within the last 50 starts. This w/n trip a light and it could be corrosion on the bat. That may be why you can't start though if you are having turn over problems.

55 means you have reached the end of the codes stored. So all in all, they mean nothing too much.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Garyaka1gardner@aol.com
Default Thanks

Thanks guy thats what it was. saved time and money

Old 05-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Logan Taylor
Default 95 Intrepid v6 3.5 wont start

Yesterday I was coasting to a tollbooth and my car slightly backfired "puff, puff" and then died and will not restart. It turns over but won't start. Changed coil pack and still will not start I smell gas when I try to start it so I don't think it's the fuel pump or the fuel filter. Checked all fuses and relays and all were good but changed anyway. If you have any ideas that I could try please let me know. I don't know if you can call me so my # is 267-720-7094. Thank you
Logan

Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Cougar1068
Cool

My son was driving my '97 3.5 the other day when the water pump sprung a leak, replaced it and made sure the timing belt was undamaged but now it won't start. Replaced battery cause it was cranking at half speed, no help. Also replaced the coil just in case. Starter is only 6 months old. Anyone know why it cranks so slow and won't start?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 DODGE INTREPID WON'T START