1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

3.5 litre crank pulley

Old 08-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Battleweary
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5 litre crank pulley

Anyone else have a hell of a time getting the pulley off of the crank when they replaced the timing belt in their 3.5 litre? I used a three jaw pullerand couldn't get it off. I was turning the puller bolt so hard it turned the engine. I had a long bolt in the crank hole and it still doesn't want to budge. Did anyone else also have the six bolt water pump? I come home with the three bolt one and take it apart and find a six bolt.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:31 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: 3.5 litre crank pulley

I have a 97 3.5and the puller I used was a special (long arm spread and short shaft to get between the radiator and engine) puller. I had tried several with no luck and finally bought the right one recomended in the shop manual(OTC # 1023). You will also need the crank puller insert (OTC # 6008)

Here is a link to the place I got mine (it was the best price at the time, and a quick shipment time)
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc1023.html
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc6008.html

PS I think when I did the job, I had the same surprize with the water pump and the other one cost more!

Old 08-12-2007, 05:11 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I replace timing belts without removing the crank pulley.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:47 AM
Battleweary

I borrowed a different puller from a mechanic friend and got it off. It was really on there and didn't want to come off. After taking off the small bottom piece of the access plate, it seems that there is enough room to not remove the pulley at all.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:33 PM
celia

HELLO... i just did mine last night... being a girl I thought I was just not STRONG enough as it was spinning also... SOOO I had to think SMARTER instead of STRONGER LOL.... I took off as many bolts as reachable on the front cover and then took the 4 bolts off the HOOD LATCH support bar...then IPULLED the cover towards the fans and I just let the radiator hose set between them to keep it open... this gave me plenty of room to swap out the water pump without taking off the pulley... and reset the timing which I noticed was off also... the fun part was putting the tensioner back in and belt on... u have to start the bolts a bit with the belt OFF then put the belt on and tighten... and I had to find someone to hold the part up that the tensioner presses on so I could get it up thru the hole again... so u may need extra hands for that... BUT alas all that and still having trouble... so I am here to post also... good luck... celia

Old 08-14-2007, 11:54 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: master tech

I replace timing belts without removing the crank pulley.
OK, How is that possible on a 3.5!? The lower cover can't be removed with the pully on! Without the cover off, and the pully on,, the only thing you could do is cut the belt to remove it, but then you can't put a new one on! I once had an old Ford that I could do that with, but not this 3.5

Also a note to Celia, I think he wanted to change the belt (most also change the pump while in there for preventitive maintance).

Old 08-20-2007, 07:44 PM
dmmahone

Note to self: (Don't buy another car with a buried water-pump)

On my 3rd pump on 155K miles. Last one only last 11K miles. I really believe the (known now as) bubba-shop didn't not install the pump correctly. The indication is....the pulled off the Crank wheel with the puller pulling on the inside-of-the wheel instead of the center of the wheel. Yep, had to take my '96 Intrepid to PepBoys for a Crank replacement.

Anyone have the Labor OEM Hours for the waterpump replacement? Pepboys told me today it could take up to "6 or 7 hours."

Thanks for the advice!

Don

Old 08-24-2007, 04:42 PM
BandAid

This post is for all those people who did'nt respond to mine...I replaced by crank & #6 connecting rod. $300 plus lots of labor

Hey Battleweary,

I dont know if this is in time but what I can tell you is to remove the timing belt it isNOT necessary to remove the harmonic balancer "Crankshaft Pulley". Just remove the 2 bolts to take out the timing belt tensioner and it will come right off. However if the pulley does have to come off and your engine is in the car, take off your drive plate cover near tranny and put a 15mm wrench or something on one of the bolts while someone torques the puller.

Now if you ever have to remove the timing gear "crankshaft sprocket" well make sure the 2-bolt pullers bolts don’t bend as you turn or you will break the bolts off in it... Also never install the new one on backwards because it’s not even threaded (unless you put a tap on it).

Also Kurts2,

It is possible because there are 3 small bolts that hold on a small piece of metal that sits over the stamped metal front. It is NOT NESACERY AT ALL TO REMOVE THE HARMONIC BALANCER...

Old 08-27-2007, 12:49 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

For a pump, no. For a belt change yes.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Battleweary

I got the belt and water pump changed fine and it seemed to run better. My gas mileage seemed to go up also. Only problem now is my transmission puked AGAIN! 17 months and 35000 km on it since it was replaced. Ugh!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.5 litre crank pulley