1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

95 Intrepid 3.5l "wont start"

Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 PM
surfn4eva
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Intrepid 3.5l "wont start"

Maybe someone out there might have the answers....My dodge has never had any problems, Thank god! and one day I started it up like always and then was backing up out of the driveway and went to put it in drive and it seemed like as soon as I put it in drive it just died on me. Pushed it up in the garage started to look around and seen the "engine control fuse" was blown. Kept looking for something else wrong and did not see anything. I thought cool just a fuse, so I replaced it and it blew the new one. 4 fuses later I still don't no why??? It seems like it blows when I turn the ignition key. My engine will keep turning but I'm blowing the fuse.... Have looked for messed up wires, loose or bad ground, battery connection, looked at the underside of the fuse block,. What would cause the fuse to blow just out of the blue like that? Any help would be great..... I'm new to the forum and I hope I posted in the right area. Thanks.......

Old 08-19-2013, 12:13 AM
DeeJayh
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the new member area, you should post an introduction and then post your issue in the appropriate forum. A fuse is a device that is to limit the amperage being drawn through a wire.

(a speaker amplifier and the wire coming to it from the battery usually cannot handle much more than X amps in a great deal of cases, so to prevent the wire from burning and possibly catching fire due to overload/overdraw you would have a X amp fuse from the battery that is the maximum value the wire can handle. this isn't exact just an idea)

So if you are absolutely positive you have checked every wire to make sure there are no shorts and good grounds between that fuse and whatever it goes to then you more than likely need to replace what it goes to and provides power to, in this case the ECU or "Engine Control Unit". The odds are in your favor that the ECU isn't causing it, so get a wiring diagram and see what all is tied into that fuse, then check the wires accordingly.

Edit: If you find a wire tied in somewhere that isn't on the diagram, chances are someone else before you tied something into it and this extra draw could be causing your fuse to blow, I'm still putting my money down on an exposed wire somewhere or a bad ground. To the wiring diagram cave!

Hope this helped!

Last edited by DeeJayh; 08-19-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:05 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Welcome to DF! I will move this to the proper section.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 Intrepid 3.5l "wont start"