1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

My '96 won't start, either...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:33 PM
cclaus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My '96 won't start, either...

So, apparently this cranking but not starting thing is fairly common on this vehicle. So, as in many of the other cases, we were driving along and the car just died. It was a little low on oil, so I topped it off. It re-started and we got about 2 blocks down the road before it died again. Made it about 100 feet when it died for the last time. Had it towed to the house and have been reading this forum and trying stuff for 2 days now. I put a new coil on first because I've had to put 3 on in the 3 years I've owned this car (thank God for lifetime warranties..). No change. Next I changed the cam positioning sensor. No change. I have only the "12" code throwing from the MIL readout, so I have not checked or replace the crank position sensor. I can hear the fuel pump turning on when I cycle the key. I have spark. I unplugged the MAP, no go. I ohmed out the fuel pump and the ASD relays, both good. Still not starting. The plugs are only 8 months old. The wires are 1.5 years old. I don't have access to an OBD meter, so that is out at the moment. I am a very recent above-the-knee amputee, so funds and ability to work are severely limited. PLEASE help a brother??? I need to get this car back on the road so that my wife does not lose her job, and I can get to my Dr's visits.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 PM
cclaus

Really? Really??? 69 views and not one offer of help...??????

Old 04-22-2015, 03:10 PM
elf2577
Default ecu

or a fuse just finding it is the issue

Old 06-17-2015, 07:11 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

You could start with the basics...fire fuel air. You will probably find no spark. I do recall a problem with loose pin retention on the coil pack in the past. Many times during trouble shooting, the female pins would spread and cause signal loss from the computer to the coil pack. Another problem area was rusted/dirty ground fir the pcm...not the main battery grounding point. Of course it really could be many things...these are a few that I have had that don't trip a mil. (Of course the ole map as well but you have tried..)

Old 08-26-2015, 04:21 AM
Trobinson

I had the exact same problem and I called a mechanic and they said it could be either the camshaft sensor or the crankshaft sensor, I replaced both and she fired right back up

Quick Reply: My '96 won't start, either...