'96 3.5 crank / no start - DodgeForum.com

1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

'96 3.5 crank / no start

Old 05-07-2016, 09:24 PM
markedman90

Red face '96 3.5 crank / no start

Daughters car back in my garage. Car sat all winter, battery totally dead (but charged and holds charge).
When I got the battery charged, it fired, ran @ ~ 400 rpm for 10 seconds or so and died. Ran smooth tho. Would not re-start. I had my wife toggle the key while I listened @ the gas tank, and the pump ran up and shut off - pretty much as expected - about 4 seconds.
I don't have any idea about how to check the fuel pressure @ the rail - 7/16-20 straight thread fitting - no shrader valve like on a Ford.
At 6'3, the idea of folding myself into the trunk to access the pump cover is not real appetizing, so..
I called a friend who's a Mopar guy and he suggested the cam and crank sensors, so I r&r'd them today with no change.
It acts like the OLD OLD Mopars with a ballast resistor blown.
Crank - try - die.
And no codes of course. Feel like I'm in a lots of motion, not getting anywhere. All ideas welcome.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:20 PM
markedman90

Default As a last resort...

I put the gas pedal to the floor this afternoon and it burped a couple of times and fired up. Wanted to die, but then settled down and idled @ 700. For all I know it acted the same way last fall when she parked it, but didn't tell me.
Not typical behavior for an injected engine, but... And I have no clue as to what might cause it - sticky throttle body ? :dunno:
Turns out I was also wrong about there not being a shrader valve in the fuel tube. It's there, but I couldn't find a test gauge set today that would fit it.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:39 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

No codes, poor idle and then dies. Push the gas pedal to the floor and you may be able to get it run poorly= bad map sensor (sticking internally so no code...engine computer just gets a bad value and adjusts the timing incorrectly). To verify, disconnect the plug from the sensor and see if she will run (this will cause a light , code and limited power but you can drive it home). If that is what happens, replace the sensor, very easy.