1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

Rough running when cold and ot

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Igor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough running when cold and ot

Hey guys. My dodge has about 150,000 miles and it starting to run like crap. I think it needs new plug wires (pretty sure the ones on there are stock), new plugs, all new filters, valvecover gaskets, and possibly one or both O2 sensors. It starts/runs ok at idle cold, but when on the throttle it stumbles and pops through the intake sometimes. But when fully warm it seems to run ok. </P>

The Check engine light is on, and it returns the faulty O2 sensor code (staying in open loop). </P>

</P>

Anyway, I would like to take the intake off, change the valvecover gaskets, plugs, wires, and maybe both O2 sensors. Anything else I should look at. I noticed it is a distributor-less ignition, do those then do go and if so, what are the symptoms. How can I check it. </P>

Sorry for so many questions and such a long post, but I just don't know much about these cars. </P>

Old 11-04-2003, 02:37 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rough running when cold and ot

As far as I know if the coil pack goes out it just won't get any spark and will not run. It sounds like you need to listen to the car and replace the O2 sensors. If the computer doesn't get the info it will go into limp mode and it will run full rich to be on the safe side(and so you can still drive it). That is why it runs great cold and like crap hot. The computer is giving it too much gas which it does on start-up and when the engine is cold anyway so there isn't any problem then. But when the engine gets to operating temperature it should back off on the gas to keep it running properly, but since the O2 sensor isn't telling the computer the Air/Fuel ratio it doesn't know to back off on the gas.

Quick Reply: Rough running when cold and ot