1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

Gauges quit, won't shift right, check engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:06 AM
bcallpres
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gauges quit, won't shift right, check engine

Fuse box was good. No sign of any problem there. I am going back to the beginning and starting over. I feel I have checked everything that it could be. Must be something I missed.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:38 PM
bcallpres

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Replaced the ignition switch today. Tried turning the car on 21 times and did not have the problems experienced before. Don't have insurance on the car now, so can't drive it on a regular basis, but never was able to go more than 8 attempts without having a problem. Previously, I had taken the switch out and checked it for continuity and it seemed fine. Tough to tell with an intermittent problem like this. Didn't go back to this because I didn't have the E4 external Torx socket to get the screws out. Those are hard to find. Bought a set online that went down that small. Went to the junkyard today and picked up the switch. Got it in this afternoon and had to share it with you all.

Hope I can save somebody else a lot of time.

Al

Old 09-26-2006, 04:49 PM
peterr

so since you didnt post anymore..The ingnition switch was the problem?

If it was how did u change it out?

Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 PM
cboyce
Default 96 intrepid, intermittent guages wont work wont shift, stalls

I solved a problem with a 96 intrepid 3.3 that intermittently had instruments that did not work, would not shift properly or past 2nd gear and stalled at idle or at least shuttered then the gauges would suddenly work, shift Ok and check engine light goes off too until next time it happens. I was afraid to drive the car but then found a very simple fix. After reading many posts about PCM, chassis ground faults etc. I began to suspect that certain modules were not all powered up when this was happening. I was correct. In looking at a wiring diagram, I realized that the ignition switch actually controls a bundle of wires that are impacted by a large number if switch contacts. Suspecting the ignition switch, I changed it for $24.00 at auto parts store. It’s easy to change too but keep in mind the danger from air bag when handling components of steering column.

Quick Reply: Gauges quit, won't shift right, check engine