1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Alternator got wet yesterday, Battery Light now on today

Old 07-28-2007, 04:45 AM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator got wet yesterday, Battery Light now on today

Ok as I've posted in my other thread, My alternator got wet as to how much I don't really know, The alternator worked great for 4 hours after getting wet no battery lightand now today the battery light is on and the lights seem a bit dim. Why would the alternator be good for a few hours after getting wet then battery light come on the next day? I thought it would have just went out with no slow death process. Could thealternator still have moisture in it after 48 hours? and is there any thing I can try to get power to restore without pulling the alternator just yet?

Also it takes about 4 minutes of running for the batterylight to come on, wonder why the delay?

Thanks

Old 07-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Dr_KY
Professional
Default RE: Alternator got wet yesterday, Battery Light now on today

Are youposative the alternator itself is at fault? have you put a meter on to see if it is charging?

Old 07-28-2007, 07:56 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

make sure you have good connections and the battery temp sensor isnt going bad or water in that plug.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Slashwannabe

I found the problem!I finally got a chance to look at it in the day time andthe belt must have gotten very wet and it slippedoff the pully groveand broke and wrapped itself around the AntifreezeOverflow container, Lucky I had an goodold belt from a 95 Neon laying in my trunk that I had from whenI modded a 95 alternator I threw on my car thati had laying around, whenI was severly broke and couldnt affordthe '98 one, so I threw that belt on in45minutes as my rathchet kept slipping off the top alternator bolt [:@]and then its one click at a time with the ratchet till its tight,then theres a bolt right next to the mount thathas a bracket that goes to the powersteering pump thatI had to mangle my hand just to get under the AC hoses to get at which was almost as tuff as the top alternator bolt to get at so I could removetension from the PS pump.

So I feel pretty lucky that my battery is good I drove about 50 miles in 2 days off of it after the belt was off, I was lazy I figured the battery light would go off then the second night whenI was driving my lights seemed a bit dim then Iknew something was going on, then the next morning I checked and found the belt coiled around my overflow container, it was only half as wide as it was originaly.

I thoughtWOWthe computer must have finally adjusted to the new air flow my header is providing because it had majorballs off the line!Then come to find out my alternatorbelt was off and thats where the power gain was coming from...Nice!Soon I might just disconect the AC pump and hope that gives me a comparable gain in HP or just go with the underdrive pullys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator got wet yesterday, Battery Light now on today